Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Looking in the Mirror

I wasn't going to post today as I really need to get to cleaning my house! However cleaning can wait a few minutes and I just can't resist getting my thoughts processed here! Today's reading in TLT reminded me of something that has been resonating with me lately...

Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says. Anyone who listens to the word but does not do what it says is like a man who looks at his face in a mirror and, after looking at himself, goes away and immediately forgets what he looks like. But the man who looks intently into the perfect law that gives freedom, and continues to do this, not forgetting what he has heard, but doing it—he will be blessed in what he does. James 1:22-25
Mike Cleveland gave such a great illustration of this as a lesson to his kids...

The other day I thought I would teach this truth to my children. I had been working out in the yard and had gotten quite dirty. As I was washing my hands in the sink I looked in the mirror and my face was very dirty. I decided to leave the dirt on and go sit down to the table to eat dinner (I informed my wife what I was doing so she wouldn't think I had lost my mind along with the garden gloves). As I sat down one of my sons said, "Dad, your face is real dirty." I said, "No it isn't, it's just fine, I just looked in the mirror, I'm great!" The children started laughing and said, "Dad, REALLY, you're FILTHY." I started laughing too, and said, "I left the dirt on there for a reason, to teach you that it does no good for us to look in the mirror, see the dirt, and do nothing about it. Just as it does no good for us merely to read or hear God's Word, which exposes areas that need to be cleaned, without obeying it." TLT workbook pg 161


I've sure been hungry and thirsty for God's word lately. What a blessing it has been to my soul, nourishing me and feeding me for the day. When I posted about being transparent the the other day, these verses in James came to my mind...but then I'd already typed up the post so I didn't bother going back and adding them... But they stuck with me.

[*Editted] *As I look to God's Word of truth* and am honest with God, myself and others I am looking into the mirror and seeing the areas that I need God's help in transforming. I don't want to simply be convicted of the areas needing change... I want to do God's will and obey Him.


I appreciated a line from my TW reading this morning, "If you find you are flesh-controlled, stop and ask God to fill all your empty places with Himself." (TW pg 136)

I am reminded that when I look into the mirror, it's not about ME fixing everything up, cleaning off the gunk and becoming new....

It's about me surrendering to God and GOD HIMSELF cleansing me, filling me, empowering and equipping me to do good works (2 Timothy 3:17), for His grace is sufficient for me, for His power is made perfect in weakness so therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me (2 Corinthians 12:9)! For I have this treasure in jars of clay to show that this all-surpassing power is from God and not from me (2 Corinthians 4:7).

So as I proceed with the day my goal, as I read scripture and pray, is to "look in the mirror" and deal with the reflection I see.

As God reveals sin I accept His amazing grace. Not only will I "observe" (confess) as TW encourages...but I will also "correct" (repent and turn away from my sin). I desire to be filled with the Spirit, empowering me and equipping me into action to surrender, obey and do the will of my Father, crucifying the sinful nature and it's passions and walking in step with the Spirit (Galatians 5:24-25) as a new Creation (2 Corinthians 5:17).

So, what have I seen in the mirror lately?

I have seen that I need to sit at Jesus' feet and be still in His presence. I get sidetracked from this most important step. I must be still before the Lord.

I see that I have often not been loving, kind, gentle and selfless with my husband. It's time to display the fruits of the spirit and shower my husband with love!

I see that I am often impatient with my kids and don't give them the time and attention they need to flourish. I don't want to exasperate my children. Rather I want to love them and encourage them and help them be all that God wants them to be.

I see that I often say things without thinking... But I want to build others up in their faith, in all I say and do.

I see that I often give in to my fleshly lusts to eat outside the good and pleasant boundaries that God has convicted me to follow (0-5). I don't want to be mastered by anything but Christ!

Okay, I've got quite a list here! That's a lot of stuff I can see in the mirror!

Time for ACTION! What hope I have as Christ LIVES IN ME!


No comments:

Post a Comment