Thursday, January 29, 2009

Excuses

I have been feeling a little discouraged lately with regards to my eating. I often want to make excuses....
  • It's hard around my birthday and valentines day.
  • It's hard around halloween.
  • It's hard around christmas.
  • It's hard during summer vacation and travelling.
Oh the list could go on and on and on, couldn't it!!! It's never easy! It's hard to stay within 0-5 eating boudaries, especially for a full day! But oh so rewarding when we persevere!

I've been struggling, in particular since halloween I'd say. It felt like a slippery slope that I just kept sliding and sliding down and down and down into the muck and mire!

Today didn't start off fabulous in regards to eating. In fact I felt on the greedy side as I took a second scone at our ladies bible study meeting. I had missed breakfast as I knew my friend was bringing these scones especially as a treat to celebrate my bday.... Yet another excuse, isn't it! I didn't eat past #5, but know that I could easily have been content and satisfied with simply one.

However midafternoon I felt wonderfully hungry! Yes, WONDERFULLY hungry! I love that feeling...at least when I know that it is within my "control" to eat something! I probably wouldn't like or relish that feeling if I had been deprived of food. But for me hunger is getting in tune with my body's needs.

I was on the phone with a friend, so I postponed eating for about an hour. Then I wasn't sure when to eat...wait for supper or have a little snack???

I decided to spend some time feeding on God's word and praying first. Now, that was a step in the right direction for me. Praise God!!! He certainly met me there. Oh how I long to do that more often!

Then I moved into eating an early supper. I relished and savoured that meal. Thanks, Lord!

So, why on earth do I CONSTANTLY make excuses??? It drives me nuts!! Imagine how God feels...

I guess, if I look at it from the perspective of dying to self I can say that DEATH IS PAINFUL. It hurts to cut lose all the sinful habits that I cling to. Yet I cling to the truth that Christ lives in me. He doesn't leave me to wallow in the pain of death...but rather brings me life, hope and future!

For...."I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body I live by faith in the Son of God who loved me and gave himself for me." Galatians 2:20

So I fix my eyes and continue to focus on the Lord with the desire for more of Him and less of me... I long to delight in the law of the Lord and meditate on it day and night. I desire to be a tree of righteousness, planted by streams of water, which yields its fruit in season and whose leaf does not wither. (Ps. 1:1-3) And I continue taking one step at a time...

I will remember the truth that the ONE who lives inside of me is GREATER than the one who is in this world (1 John 4:4)



I'M NOT GIVING UP!
For I know that God hasn't given up on me!
Thanks, Lord!

2 comments:

  1. I was laying in bed last night and had nibbled on a few gummy candies. Negative thinking was trying to condemn me and I felt the Lord showing me how far I had come in my walk with Him where it concerns food. He showed me how I have MORE good days of obedience than bad days where my will is done, and not His. He gave me a vision of how I ate each and every night in bed HUGE amounts of food...and I don't do that anymore...yes,,I'm going to keep going also, I'm not going back. Jesus is holding my hand and guiding me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an awesome testimony, Angela:-) Praise God! I'm walking right beside you on the same path!

    ReplyDelete