Friday, February 6, 2009

Following in Daddy's Footsteps

"So I say, live by the Spirit and you will not gratify the desires of the sinful nature... Since you live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit." Galatians 5:16 & 25
What does "living by the Spirit" and keeping in "step with the Spirit" look like? That's the big question I've been pondering. And an image is beginning to emerge.




Me, God's little girl, following Him through each step and moment of life.

So, where do these steps lead, I wonder?

I think they lead to dying to self. "If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross and follow me." Mark 8:34

Oohh. That sounds scary, doesn't it?! Certainly sounds painful.

What comfort can I take in this path?

That Christ lives in me (Gal. 2:20). That God is greater than he that is in this world (1 Jn 4:4). That He is doing a good work in me and bringing it to completion (Phil 1:6). That these light and momentary troubles are preparing me for a glory that far outweighs them all (2 Cor. 4:17). That Daddy, Abba Father, CARES for me and LOVES me and heaps all the GRACE imaginable on me. He protects me, is my fortress, my refuge, my comfort, my sustainer, my peace, my joy, my strength... And the list could go on and on!

Down to the practicality of following in Daddy's footsteps. What does that look like in everyday life?

SURRENDER is the answer that came to mind. As I go about my daily life I choose to abide with Christ and be surrendered to Him and to the Holy Spirit's leading.

Do I eat when I'm not hungry? Do I eat past full? Or am I eating in moderation, not making an idol out of food (Col 3:5) and being content with my portion (Psalm 16:5-6)? Am I opening wide my mouth so that He can fill it, filling up on God Himself and His words(Psalm 81:10)?

REFLECTION: I have been more consistent with hunger/fullness this past week, praise God. But I still have seen the seeds of greed creep up (I must confess tonight was probably the toughest one over the past five days). And my weight has certainly NOT been reflecting a surrendered heart in this area. However I have been HUNGRY HUNGRY HUNGRY for God's word and for memorizing scripture (this is very new to me and quite shocking actually...definitely a God-thing!).

Do I say those juicy words of gossip? Do I speak those cutting words that would feel so good in the moment but be so destructive in the long run? Do I speak mindlessly and thoughtlessly? Or is my conversation full of grace and seasoned with salt? (Col. 4:6) Am I saying words that are helpful for building others up? (Eph. 4:29)

REFLECTION: I have been very conscious of the times that I have slipped up in this area this week. I have had to run to the Lord for forgiveness quite a few times unfortunately. I've been very conscious of my speech with my kids and husband, being much more vigilant and alert to the enemy's attacks and temptations. As a result I've noticed I, through God's grace and power, have been able to be more patient and loving with my kids. I know this greatly benefits them in the long run.

Do I spend the extra money on myself and turn a blind eye to the poor and needy? Or do I sacrifice just a small bit of our luxury and indulgences to help someone in much more dire need then me (Isaiah 58:7, 10)?

REFLECTION: I don't feel good about my spending lately. I'm so behind on my budgetting updates. And I don't feel good about how much I contribute to those in need. On the flip side, we booked our tickets to Mexico for summer and will once again go, as a family, to help out at the orphanage and in their community. This gets me pretty excited! My heart's desire is that we can help those in need more and more and more and more and more...and focus on our own comforts and stuff less and less and less and less!!!

Do I spend my free time in front of the TV or computer and ignore filling up on Him and His word? Or am I filling up my mind and heart with His word, feasting on God Himself (Psalm 63)?

REFLECTION: This week has gone better in that department then a lot of other weeks. I've stayed away from the computer for the most part. Just spent a few minutes each day checking email and reading a couple blog posts. And I really didn't even watch TV. It was good to spend more time with the Lord as a result. He was my Satisfaction this week.

Choices... So many choices.

And thoughts... So many thoughts.

Each moment, of each day, I have thoughts which lead me to either continue following in Daddy's footsteps OR tempt me to take the fork in the road and gratify the desires of my sinful flesh.

Each thought must be taken captive and made obedient to Christ (2 Cor. 10:5). Every thought must line up with God's truth. I need to filter each thought, asking if this is "right" in God's eyes. The Holy Spirit will empower me not to gratify those desires as I allow Him to "filter" those thoughts.

As I surrender to His leading and prompting I continue following in Daddy's footsteps. What a beautiful picture for me to dwell on. I do SO trust my Daddy Abba Father and want to please Him. But oh how hard that can be! I'll close with one of my latest favorite verses, which has greatly encouraged me...
"And God is able to make all grace abound to you, so that in all things at all times, having all that you need, you will abound in every good work." 2 Corinthians 9:8
Thank you Lord for not leaving me to just wave about on my own, trying to fill your big footsteps! Thank you for equipping me! Thank you for your Holy Spirit leading the way! And thank you for lovingly walking alongside me through this entire journey of life leading to eternity spent with You! What amazing grace and love! Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment