Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Waiting in Expectation

Yesterday morning the Lord spoke to me through the following scripture...
Give ear to my words, O Lord, consider my sighing. Listen to my cry for help, my King and my God, for to you I pray. In the morning, O Lord, you hear my voice. In the morning I lay my requests before you and wait in expectation. Psalm 5:1-2
Isn't that beautiful? I love the attitude of waiting in expectation! That's real faith, isn't it?! Just like the verse in Hebrews 11:1 "faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see." I think the word "expectation" reflects being sure of what we hope for.

When Christmas is around the corner, there is LOTS of expectation around our house! The kids know there are lots of special activities, travels to grandparents, yummy food & treats and gifts around the corner! It's always such an exciting time if year, marked with putting up the christmas tree and then often counting down to the special day with an advent calendar. THAT'S expectation! Waiting and KNOWING there are many good things in store!

So when I apply that analogy to my prayers, I get excited! I get excited about answers to prayer. I get excited about God moving and being glorified! Along those lines, here is another verse that spoke to me recently and tucked into my memory:
This is the confidence we have in approaching God: that if we ask anything according to his will, he hears us. And if we know that he hears us—whatever we ask—we know that we have what we asked of him. 1 John 5:14-15
Changing gears I little... Today is Ash Wednesday, a very new term for me. I am exploring how I am going to embrace the lent season this year in preparation for Easter...and have an attitude of waiting in expectation. I found a few resources that I think will be helpful along the way, as I stumble along:-) Thanks to Mona for emailing me this link for a lenten reflection guide. I am looking forward to using this on my journey. And then I noticed that BibleGateway has a lent reading plan available here.

I'm looking forward to the journey ahead. I wait in expectation of all the Lord has in store, the ways He will teach me and convict me and grow me!

No comments:

Post a Comment