Saturday, February 28, 2009

Unique Approach to Chewing Food!

Eating 0-5 can be a real challenge. I can be particularily difficult to always follow each of the keys to conscious eating, aiming to make it essentially the "first meal of the rest of your life" each and every time!

Here's a quick recap of the keys to conscious eating:
  • 1. Eat when my body is hungry ("0").
  • 2. Eat in a calm environment by reducing distractions.
  • 3. Eat when sitting.
  • 4. Eat when my body and mind are relaxed.
  • 5. Eat and drink the things my body enjoys.
  • 6. Pay attention to my food while eating.
  • 7. Eat slowly, savoring each bite.
  • 8. Stop before my body is full ("5").
The other day at the Thin Within forums an old thread re-surfaced: Any tips on eating slowly?

There was some really useful and interesting stuff posted there. But the post that really grabbed my attention was posted by Lizzy Joy here. She talked about how she finds it helpful to chew to memory verses or to music! I thought that was very unique!

So, I have given it a try this week a few times. The first time I tried chewing in time to memory verses (saying them in my head). That was tough since I say it kind of fast in my head, so I'd end up chewing too fast I found. Of course if I said the verses in my head very meditatively and slowly, reflecting on each word, the pace for chewing may be a little more manageable!

Then I tried chewing to my prayers, basically constant gratitude to the Lord for every bite and for His provisions, chewing in time to each word. That was very beneficial I found.

I also tried chewing to music... I don't think I found the right song yet for that to really work!

In each of the attempts I have found my attention drawn more fully to the Lord and gratitude for His provisions. This is a wonderful thing! I have found eating a much more meditative process.

So, I just thought I'd share these little tidbits with you as I thought they were quite a unique way of approaching chewing food:-) Therefore, even while (or especially while!) eating I cry to the Lord...

Oh, how I love your law! I meditate on it all day long. Your commands make me wiser than my enemies, for they are ever with me. Psalm 119:97-98

No comments:

Post a Comment