Wednesday, October 14, 2009

$1

photo by merlinprincesse
A couple months back I was floored that God had once again introduced me to another Pakistani family, on a short little visit to a local convenience store down the road from my house. Seeing the dark skinned couple behind the counter, the lady wearing a full hijab (head covering), I felt the urge to ask where they were from....and received the reply, "Pakistan." I was astounded and moved to tears as I realized that once again God was placing these beautiful people into my life, having prepared me for this season of life with ten years of my childhood spent in Pakistan.

This past year I have been developping a beautiful and sweet friendship with a Pakistani lady just a block from my house, who I had also met out of the blue. And now, I could see that once again God was moving and was directing as I met this couple at the convenience store. It moves me deeply as I feel a kinship with Pakistan. In my heart, Pakistan is my second home.

To give some perspective, our area of the city is majority white skinned folks. We do not have much representation of other ethnicities in our area. To have met two separate families this past year, both from Pakistan, is quite shocking for me!

I didn't have the foresight to ask for a phone # that day...and it has been heavy on my heart ever since.

I often go for a brisk walk after dropping the kids off at school and inevitably my route is taking me past this very convenience store time and again. And inevitably I feel this tugging at my heart to go inside and ask for that phone number. But inevitably I shrink back in fear, full of excuses.

Today, I once again felt that tug...the Holy Spirit's nudge, "Christina, go ahead and walk into that convenience store and ask for that phone number."

"But, Lord," I fumbled and stumbled, "I'll look foolish. What if they are not even at the store today...what will I do then?"

"Go, Christina."

"Okay, here's the deal. If...and I mean only *IF*....I have some coins in my jacket pocket, I'll go inside, I promise Lord." I doubt I have ANY money in my pockets so this seems a safe way out.

I start to rummage through my pockets as I pass the store. And sure enough, according to God's plan, I find a $1 coin that God has orchestrated to be in my pocket at that very moment.

"But, but, but....okay, Lord, I'll go in." *sigh*

I enter the store, and wander aimlessly around the store towards the coffee section and see that coffee costs $1.50. Then I turn around and just decide to jump right in and to the point and skip the coffee.

"I was wondering if I could get T's phone number," I ask the dark skinned man behind the counter. I stumble around with my words and explain how I had met T and his wife previously and how I had grown up in Pakistan and would like to meet T's wife.

"He's my brother. My wife and I live with T and his wife," is the reply that greets my ears.

Whew! God, are you telling me that I am now possibly meeting TWO families all in one shot?! Wow!

After we exchanged phone numbers, A says, "Please go and have a coffee. Don't worry about paying." I actually don't even much like coffee and stumble around with my words once again, basically saying "Thanks, but no thanks." I thank him, tucking the piece of paper with the phone numbers in my pocket, wave goodbye and start my walk home, my heart singing.

My heart is soaring with praise and excitement. And I sense that God is at work in a unique and special way, with a plan that may very well have been ordained for my life since the beginning of time.

I feel myself growing up. I feel myself being prepared for something big and momentous in the spiritual realm.

Thank you Lord for that $1. Prepare me for your work. I am Yours.

1 comment:

  1. Wow. God is faithful to prepare your heart for this moment. What a blessing. Bring tears to my eyes to see God's work in progress. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete