Sunday, March 22, 2009

Challenge #3 - Reduce Distractions

Okay, now I'm onto this key to conscious eating, after backing up last week! I'm continuing to focus on #0 (hunger) and #5 (satisfaction), the most foundational basic building blocks of intuitive conscious TW eating. Now I'm adding "reducing distractions" which should actually help me be more aware of my #5!

Here is what I originally posted last week and then backtracked on....

Reduce the number of distractions in order to eat in a calm environment.
There is a delightful experience that awaits you at each meal. However, if you are like most of us, your mealtimes are often chaotic instead of calm. A chaotic environment produces chaotic eating. Ponder relishing a quiet meal, where you can be still, and know that [He is] God (Psalm 46:10) when you eat. You will discover that eating really can be a more satisfying experience. Allow yourself the pleasure of being focused on your food. At Thin Within, we call this eating in "present time." If your mind is elsewhere or if you are distracted, you are less likely to enjoy your food. You will also find yourself going back for "seconds" because you were not fully present the first time around. The Lord wants us to experience both His provisions nd His peace. Mealtimes can be an opportunity to turn off the TV or disruptive music, and put aside your reading. In the process, we can then praise Him for the sight, the smell, and the taste of each bite of food. (TW pg 8)

I think this can be a particular challenge for parents of preschool children, especially if you are a SAHM and every meal is eaten together. "Chaos" is just part of the equation with young kids it seems. Well, maybe not chaos, but mealtimes are certainly not all that calm and unrushed generally speaking for most people I bet. Food battles, spilled milk, help cutting food etc. etc. are typical for the preschool years....and even into the elementary years at times, as I can attest!

I can actually enjoy my breakfast and lunch in a completely calm environment (if I prioritize this) now that my kids are in school full time. I usually relish the calm of these meals. Supper is usually a lot less calm as the whole family gathers around the table. But I wouldn't want to reduce the distraction of my dear family!!! This is part of creating a connected, happy, loving family environment. However, I can tell the difference in myself when I am NOT present and enjoying each bite due to the action around the table VERSUS when I embrace each mouthful, thanking God quickly for each bite, getting into a rhythm of enjoying the conversations and disruptions all the while fully enjoying my food. THIS rhythm is what I am aiming for....since I can't cut out the "chaos" of a family mealtime! LOL

Being truly present for each eating experience IS a daily challenge for me. I know I need to continue aiming to be in the moment, present, not forgetting to enjoying all the senses that God has given me to enjoy! Giving constant thanks to the Lord for His provisions.

Here is what I posted this afternoon to my daily accountability group:

Here is a "heads up" for myself with regards to the following distractions...

1. TV
I need to make sure I don't equate relaxing in the evening while watching a show WITH eating. I think I've began to slide into that a little bit lately. I like to watch TV and munch. I haven't struggled with that too much through the years, but have noticed this urge in myself recently.

2. Standing vs. sitting while eating
I know that "sitting" is another key that we will unpack later. "Standing" and eating is often a distraction for me. I need to remember to sit at the table (or on the couch works for me too) while eating. I just tend to not be distracted by other activities then. For example, if I'm prepping dinner, munching while standing at the counter - I'm being distracted from eating in truly present time, by the work I'm doing in the kitchen.

3. Computer
Sometimes I eat while at the computer. I need to ensure I, at the very least, get into a rhythm with focussing on the food when I take a bite, rather then on the computer screen.

4. Kids
Yes, the kids can really distract me from focus on food as noted before. But they are a blessing and I wouldn't want it any other way. I just need to make sure I balance it, once again like a rhythm between conversation and eating, not letting my mind and body go into auto pilot! I need to make EVERY SECOND "present time."

Anyone else have any thoughts? What are common "distractions" that you deal with on a regular basis? Kids? TV? Reading while eating? Just letting your thoughts run away and not in the present moment? Eating on the run, in the car, in a hurry? What are you going to have a "heads up" about in the upcoming week? Are there any mindless activities you do you do while eating....which in turn distract you from tasting, seeing, smelling the food, being in communion with the Lord and sensing when your body is reaching satisfaction while eating? Any boundaries you feel called to set up this upcoming week to push you to reduce distractions? Any other plans of action?

Let's be intentional and seek the Lord on this! Let's keep our focus FIXED and STAYED on the Lord!

No comments:

Post a Comment