Friday, March 13, 2009

Challenge #1 - Eating at "0"

My daily accountability group is doing a week by week challenge covering the eight keys to conscious eating that are unpacked in the Thin Within book. I know that others were doing similar challenges over the past few months at the TW forums and also Heidi highlighted each of the keys on her blog.

What does "0" feel like for me?
"0" or physiological hunger feels like an ache in my belly. I can usually feel it approaching. And then after the ache my stomach usually starts to audibly rumble. Sometimes there is no rumble, but usually the ache. I can tell the difference between hunger and digestion gurgling sounds because first, I know if it is shortly after eating it is clearly digestion, and secondly, the rumbling is a different sort of sound, a lot more urgent sounding (!) and accompanied by that ache. What does hunger feel like for you?

Do I usually eat at "0"?
This is a real challenge for me. I like to make this my aim though I struggle on a daily basis with being consistent. It's amazing how easy it is to slide out of the "routine" of eating at "0." When I'm in the "eating at '0' mode" then it's almost like a rhythm that I'm part of. When I'm out of the routine...well then it's like I'm just completely out of time and out of tune with my body's needs and signals.

I embrace hunger!
I think it is one of the neatest "shadows" of Scriptural truth. We all need food to survive physically. Without food we are weak, malnourished, dying. Physical hunger reminds me that I not only need physical food...but I also need SPIRITUAL food. Without filling up on the Lord, feasting at His table in His word and prayer, abiding and remaining with Him and in step with Him, I am spiritually weak, malnourished and dying. (I just felt that the last day or two as I was seriously lacking a good meal at His table as the busyness of life caught up with me!)

As I authentically open wide my mouth (spiritually speaking) and fill up on the Lord I believe He begins to increase in my life and I begin to decrease. And as I begin to decrease my heart's desire and prayer is that my greed for food and my running to food when I'm NOT at "0" (physically hungry) will also begin to diminish and decrease as well.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on this topic. Anyone else care to join us in this weekly challenge? We're moving onto Key#2 (Eat in a calm environment by reducing distractions) on Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment