Saturday, March 28, 2009

Challenge #4 ~ Sit!

Well, three weeks have whizzed by! I am finding myself certainly very aware of #0. Being willing to stop at #5 can still be an issue for me. I still have some greedy weeds in the soil of my heart. Reducing distractions was a challenge for me this past week. I'm not sure I entirely succeeded in reducing distractions...but I think that this week's conscious eating key will help me reduce distractions...at least if I sit at the dining room table (or couch as I often do)! Sitting at the computer or TV doesn't quite seem quite as helpful and effective!

So, here is a quick recap of this conscious eating key, as described in the Thin Within Book (on pg 9).

Eating When Sitting Down


Americans are famous for eating on the run, and much of our unconscious or mindless eating is done while driving. If you eat on the run or while standing at the kitchen counter, you aren't fully focused on the food or enjoying present-time eating. When this happens, you may hear yourself saying, "I haven't had a thing to eat all day."

We will encourage you throughout these thirty days to remain in the present moment and to relish it for hte pleasure it brings. If you sit down and take time to focus on giving your body the fuel it needs, your mind will record the fact that you have eaten. Often, in our hurry-on-the-go lifestyles, we charge ahead and our hearts and minds feel as if they haven't been refreshed. [And then he said,] "Refresh yourself with something to eat; then you can go." So the two of them sat down to eat and drink together (Judges 19:5-6).


I tend to do a lot of snacking at the counter during dinner preparations, grabbing a little bite of this or that. I'm going to try to stop this habit. I am going to make it my goal to ensure each and every bite that goes into my mouth is done while sitting (preferably at the dining room table). Anyone else joining me? Anyone else have any thoughts or feedback?

No comments:

Post a Comment