Monday, April 20, 2009

Challenge #7 ~ Pay Attention

Time is flying by and this week brings me to another Thin Within key to conscious eating on which to focus. This week's key is:

Pay attention to my food while eating.
During many of your meals you will dine with others. We are enriched both by our interaction with others and by the nourishment and delight provided by the food we eat. We experience maximum satisfaction as we give our full attention to each in turn. How can you apply this key? We suggest that you attempt to establish a rhythm as you eat. Look at your food, take a bite, chew deliberately, and fully experience the flavor. Then set your fork down and focus on your companions, giving them your full attention. Return to focus on your food and continue this back-and-forth process. As you practice this rhythm, you will be able to do this without giving it much thought. Your meals will be more intentional and more enjoyable. TW pg 10

I was just thinking that I often try to do this when I'm in social situations...and somehow don't remember this point when eating regular family dinners. Yet every meal with my family is essentially a "social situation". I think it is time for me to apply this to every meal we share as a family. These are the meals I most often struggle with anyways.

Anyone else have any thoughts, insights, tips in regards to this week's challenge? Anyone else joining me on these weekly challenges? I'd love to hear from you!

No comments:

Post a Comment