Monday, April 27, 2009

A Pig, A Cat and a Big Mud Puddle

My goal this week is to be a cat...not a pig!

Okay, that probably doesn't make much sense. So I'll explain. Sunday's sermon really struck a chord with me. One illustration really stuck. The speaker asked, "Have you ever seen a cat go through a mud puddle?" followed by "Have you ever seen a pig go through a mud puddle?"

He proceeded to describe some of the things he'd seen growing up on the farm. He talked about how cats, when facing a mud puddle, would jump from rock, to tuft of grass, to rock etc. to get to the other side of the mud puddle, fully aware of every angle as they crossed. And when they got to the other side they would clean off any mud that was stuck to their fur. (Of course this is probably not always the case! But works for the sake of this illustration.) Here is a youtube clip I found of a cat and a puddle...

Did you notice how the cat was really not that interested in the mud puddle and actually turned away and walked the other direction?

Now on the other hand, the speaker emphasized that pigs never go "through" a mud puddle! They love to just get right in there, roll around, get as mucky as possible. Then some of the mud begins to dry and cake on and they get a bit itchy and then they roll around some more. You get the picture. They really make themselves at home in the mud. Here's another youtube clip that may help illustrate the point.

The point of this illustration is that we need to "walk circumspectly" (Ephesians 5:15 KJV). The speaker mentioned how the word circumspectly comes from two different roots - circumference and inspect. I'm not sure where he got that from as I couldn't find that in my searches. Here is a definition that I found for circumspect:
Aware of all circumstances; considerate of all that is pertinent; cautious, prudent, thoughtful, or wary.

His point was that when we walk circumspectly we are seeing things from all angles (the whole circumference) and we are inspecting the situation.

This got me thinking. Am I going through life like a pig or like a cat?! I know that sounds like a crazy question. But the image of the different approaches resonates with me. Right now I feel like a pig rolling around in the mud puddle of sin (in particular the sin of gluttony and lack of self control), instead of prudently and intentionally inspecting each step I take, aiming to get to the other side as cleanly as possible.

Now I know that ultimately without the Holy Spirit guiding and directing me I will be wallowing in the mud. I'm human and I very well know that I have this tug of war to do what my flesh wants. It says in Galatians 5:16-18, 25:
So I say, live by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the sinful nature. 17For the sinful nature desires what is contrary to the Spirit, and the Spirit what is contrary to the sinful nature. They are in conflict with each other, so that you do not do what you want. 18But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under law. 25Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit.

As we are filled with the Spirit (Eph. 5:18), have the mind of Christ (1 Cor. 2:16), led by the Spirit (Gal. 5:18) and keeping in step with the Spirit (Gal. 5:25) we begin to see situations through different eyes...ultimately with a renewed mind (Rom. 12:2). We see that mud puddle of sin and begin to see the way out of temptation (1 Cor. 10:13) and begin to see what God's will is (Rom. s 12:2).

So, my goal this week is to be a cat....not a pig! Application of this means I am going to be aiming to "walk circumspectly," soaking up God's word and truth every chance I get! If I don't know and acknowledge the truth, how can I live the truth? I want to be transformed by the renewing of my mind this week (Rom. 12:2). I want to watch and pray so that I will not fall into temptation (Matt. 26:41). And ultimately I want to SHINE for Jesus and be the aroma of Christ to those around me (2 Cor. 2:15). Ultimately I know that I can't get around or through this mud puddle without Christ! I cling to the following verse:
But we have this treasure in jars of clay to show that this all-surpassing power is from God and not from us. 2 Corinthians 4:7

No comments:

Post a Comment