Sunday, November 6, 2011

Observe & Correct

This past week has felt like a string of failures. Here are some observations & corrections I made this morning in my meditations.

My main question to myself was -
What are the triggers?
Can I pinpoint anything that has particularly drawn me down the slippery slope?

And I was easily easily easily able to identify the main problem.

LEFTOVERS - not just any leftovers....but rather leftovers from "take out" food - last Monday it was chinese food and this weekend it was pizza.

I don't believe it is wrong to order or to eat these foods. However, I am seeing some patterns developing.

Observations:

#1.) I am greedy. I don't want anyone else in the family to eat "my portion." So I jump the gun and eat it early in the day. That is a very very honest look at my heart. Not a pretty sight.

#2.) I am tired (from work, from errands etc.) and am weak and vulnerable to the cravings for these taste-bud ticklers:-)

Corrections:

#1.) If I save eating these kind of rich meals for supper rather than lunch (or breakfast!) then I usually can eat it in a balanced way. I usually create a bit of a plan for the day in regards to what I will eat (though I don't stick to it legalistically). I need to STICK TO THE PLAN! When I come to the fridge, feeling weak and vulnerable to these temptations, I really, really, really need to MOVE AWAY and take a time out with God, move to another room, pray and seek God's renewing of the mind.

#2.) On a very practical level, I should divide the food up (or at least my portion) into a container so I don't need to "worry" about it being gone by the time supper comes by. That may help me keep my resolve to save it for dinner, which I know helps me stay more balanced for the day.

Lord, thank you for these insights. Thank you for your grace. Thank you for your forgiveness. And thank you for waiting for me with open arms. Thank you for giving me a fresh start moment by moment. Amen.

2 comments:

  1. OMGosh.....I felt like I was reading about MYSELF!

    Oh how I need to balance so many things in my life. This is a good place to start!

    Thank you for stopping by the farm for a visit. I took the butterfly pic in our backyard. My butterfly bush really lives up to its name! :> )

    Blessings~
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by, Laura:-) It's always great to connect with others who can relate. :-)

    ReplyDelete