Friday, August 1, 2008

Checking in

I guess it has been nearly two weeks since I posted. I thought it would be good to give account and be transparent with how things have been going.

First of all, I cannot begin to express how amazing our time here in Mexico has been. We are staying at the home of an amazing family who rescued and have care for seven orphanned children for the past three years (along with their own three children). They have been building an orphanage near their home that will open in the near future with the ability to care for many more children. The children are AMAZING! God's work in their lives is very evident! We have now spent over a week with this family and have been touched in so many ways. The children have a joy that just spills over and radiates from them. They are wonderful children, a true joy to spend time with. Our host couple, the Fletchers, are amazing individuals as well. I have learned so much as I have listened to them share from their hearts. I still don't know what God's plan in all this is....but I'm willing and available to whatever He calls me to. I could go on and on with stories...but will keep it short and sweet for now until I collect my thoughts better and can communicate them more effectively:-)

Second, I have been continuing to take time with the Lord. I have been really enjoying the Beth Moore study "Breaking Free". Today's lesson, finding satisfaction in God, really hit home to me especially. It compared how we seek to satisfy our bodies when we feel physical sensations of hunger and thirst (good reminder to do this more!!) and how we should be doing the same thing with our spiritual hunger and thirst sensations and turning to God who satisfies as with the "richest of fare". I have much growing to do in this area.

Third, in regards to eating.... I have really been off. I feel quite "yucky" right now actually! I have had my "on" days and then my really really "off" days. They have really different schedules here in Mexico! Breakfast has been self-serve. I should be more careful to be hungry for this meal as most days I can wait until I am hungry and then eat. Lunch is usually around 2pm (seems strange to me when I'm used to 11:00-12:00 lunches!). This is their biggest meal of the day.....and has been throwing me off majorly as I'm usually a light lunch kind of person! Then supper is around 9pm (seems crazy to me!) and they have had sandwiches or hamburgers etc. most days...more like our lunches. As I said following 0-5 has been up and down.... When we get to our next phase of our trip, our family time in Playa del Carmen, I know that I will have more flexibility with 0-5 eating, as I will be more "in control" of what times I eat etc. It is much more difficult when I am the guest here and the meals are being prepared and served to 15-20 people each lunch/supper.

I feel the root of gluttony has reared its head once again and feel captive once again to greed for food. Doesn't take very long does it!!!! I need to be set free by God's power once again. I need to open the door to the Lord and be satisfied by Him alone. Time to push the restart button again! I don't expect to be able to be hungry every meal while in this home....but certainly can make choices that reflect a heart that is not captive to gluttony.

Lord, I turn to you once again. I need your mercy and grace. I'm sorry for turning from you and choosing to do things my own way. Please help me learn what it means to be satisfied in YOU alone. I want to have a taste of all that you have to offer and to truly experience soul satisfaction. Thank you for your faithfulness. Thank you for not giving up on me. Thank you for your power which you equip me with. I know that I cannot do this in my own strength. Thank you for all your provisions--help, peace, joy, purpose, strength, power, presence, grace and more. You are an amazing God! Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment