Thursday, July 3, 2008

Camping Update

What an amazing six days it has been! I have thoroughly enjoyed spending so much time outdoors and in God's creation. It was wonderful camping with friends for our first three nights, catching up, having some heart-to-hearts and just hanging out together. Then it was nice to have some time for just our family the past two nights. My heart is filled with thanksgiving and gratitude for who God is and all the ways he cares for me. Thank you Lord.

Down to the nitty gritty details of the week!! My eating was mostly within 0-5 this week. However I did notice the roots of some greed rear its head... Since I was journalling my thoughts this week I figure I'll just post these...

Saturday, June 28th
I was reading TW chapter 14 and these are the things that stuck out to me:
"For it is God who works in you to will and to act according to his good purpose." Phil 2:13
"For sin shall not be master over you for you are not under law but under grace." Romans 6:14
* The Lord will reveal His perfect will for you. (Romans 12:2)
* Empowered by his grace--interesting thought
Gratitude log
here.

Sunday, June 29th
Eating observation: I felt a little greedy for sugar this evening.
What a perfect chapter to start off camping...inviting God into each and every moment of my life, practising His presence. Just the reminder I needed. Thank you, Lord.
Gratitude log
here.

Monday, June 30th
Eating observation: Too much sugar
Correction: Go for what I'm craving FIRST...rather then eating a whole bunch of other teasers and then finally going for what I was craving in the first place!
Gratitude log
here.

Tuesday, July 1st
I'm really off this evening. Lord forgive me. It's not just my eating...it's my emotions too.
I've been very tired. My guard has definitely been down. I've given in to temptation. Father, help me live a surrendered life to you. I'm not even sure what I could do to correct today....maybe the munchie mix was my downfall...definitely think it was. I feel saddened that I'm not the best role model for my kids in regards to eating in moderation. Father forgive me for this too.
Gratitude log
here.

Wednesday, July 2nd
I feel like I'm mindlessly eating tonight at supper. Did I even really invite God into each moment of this meal? If I had I would have turned to Him for strength to resist temptation and make good choices.

Reflecting on TW ch. 18:
"I am carrying on a great project and cannot go down. Why should the work stop while I leave it and go down to you?" Neh. 6:3

What a great reminder to persevere and maintain godly boundaries!

I wonder if I stepped over a godly boundary at lunch by having chips. I just observed yesterday that my supper eating went off because of the overconsumption of the munchie mix in the afternoon. I think I set myself up for the same situation today. I could have simply saved some chips for later if I was craving them so much.

"My soul will be satisfied as with the richest of foods; with singing lips my mouth will praise you." Psalm 63:5

Gratitude log
here.

Thursday, July 3rd
Reflecting on TW ch. 19:
"In repentance and rest is your salvation, in quietness and trust is your strength." Is. 30:15
What a neat verse! Something to ponder.

Also, reflecting on
Ps. 32:1-5 I find it interesting to note that failing to acknowledge sin results in what I see as soul suffering--bones wasting, groaning, God's hand heavy upon, strength sapped.

One thing I noticed last night is that s'mores are a bit of a teaser for me. Not 100% satisfying so why do I eat so many?! Maybe I should just eat one for the fun of it and then eat the separate part (probably just the chocolate!) if I'm wanting more!

Gratitude log
here.


In summary...

I've had some wonderful time with the Lord, with family and friends this week. I'm so thankful for God's strength this week. I'm also thankful for the TW book which is so packed full of godly insights and wisdom!

I didn't follow my pre-planned menu...yet all that thinking ahead of time did prepare me to make better choices. I pretty much just went with the flow and ate what I was craving within 0-5.

The two things I noted that seemed to be flesh machinery for me when camping are: munchies/chips and sweets (particularily s'mores).

My plan of action is...

Munchies--aim to eat very specific portion sizes. I think I'll actually portion out the munchies ahead of time so that I stick within a more moderate amount.

Sweets--s'mores...just eat one and then focus on more pleasing pleasers:-) Other sweets I just need to slow down and savour and continue sticking with 0-5 eating.

Well, enough from me for now! This is getting long winded as usual!!

No comments:

Post a Comment