Monday, June 1, 2009

Happy Anniversary!

Today is Jon and my 13th wedding anniversary. It is amazing how time flies!

I remember the first time I really took note of him way back in 1994. I was out for a walk and saw this young man (whom I had met at the college & career group at church) walking down the street in bare feet with a cordless phone in hand... (I guess he was testing the phone and the distance he could go with it!) I didn't know that he was living just a street over from me so that was the first time it registered with me that he was nearby.


He says he knew I was the girl he wanted to marry when he saw me smile. Aw. What a sweetie. And he proceeded to make the moves pretty fast:-) I was only 18 years old and he was 22 years old, on the lookout for a bride:-)

Before I knew it he was sweeping me off my feet by asking me out on a "date" at 10:30pm one night out to McDonalds for free fries (a perk we got with our university ID card at that time)! What romance!:-) It was a unique first date:-) We certainly had lots of fun.

He told me he loved me within 2 weeks of "dating":-) He was REALLY on the lookout for a bride! Also within the first two weeks of dating he wanted me to learn to cut his hair! LOL I can't believe he actually trusted me with that job! His other longtime female friends had been cutting his hair for the past number of years so they showed me how to cut his hair one evening...and I've done it ever since! That, combined with the McDonald's free fries date, certainly showed me how thrifty he was...a quality I appreciated and still do:-) We work well together in that regard:-)

We enjoyed many walks together, put many puzzles together (there's something so calm and relaxing about doing a puzzle together and just chatting), and spent much time at the university together as we were both in the faculty of education at the time. And we fell in love and really became the best of friends very quickly.

Within 11 months of dating, he popped the question in a very unusual way...

One afternoon he came by with a stuffed teddy bear for me. He didn't usually bear gifts and I was thinking a proposal was coming so I was immediately suspicious. Then he proceeded to tell me that the teddy bear was "defective" (it was supposed to do something when battery powered)! Huh! That's just a strange thing to say! Why on earth would you buy a "defective" bear I wondered!

As soon as he left that day, I immediately went straight to that bear and started to investigate! I went searching for the battery compartment. What I found, with my younger brother right by my side, confirmed my suspicions!! The battery compartment had a piece of masking tape across it and said, "Don't throw out"! Huh!!!!! Something certainly was suspicious!

Of course I proceeded to open it and found a beautiful diamond ring inside! My brother was right beside me the whole time, curious what was going on.....but no Jon right by my side!!!! My mom proceeded to take a picture of me with the ring.

Then I called Jon's place (he lived about 20 minutes away at this point) but he wasn't yet home and I told his roommate "I think Jon just proposed to me!" In other words, Jon was engaged without even knowing it!!!!!


Needless to say we got together that evening and he proposed officially on bended knee...and of course I said "yes":-)

JUNE 1'st 1996


We have shared many happy years together since that time. He is truly my soul mate and my best friend. I thank God for His hand of protection and blessing in our lives. With our young and impulsive natures we could easily have met and married the wrong person I'm sure! But God saved us for each other and put us in each other's paths at precisely the right time...and in the same neighbourhood as well! Little did I know how perfect our match was. Though we both are very different from each other, we really compliment each other and connect on the most important and crucial matters. I'm so thankful for Jon.

The three most beautiful and precious people in my life, thirteen years later.... God certainly is the Giver of good and perfect gifts!


We have lots of fun together, laugh, share, cry, talk, dream...and just love each other. He is an amazing father and husband and most importantly man after God's own heart.

So, on this day, we celebrate 13 years of marriage!

3 comments:

  1. Very Nice - I showed my Web Design class a brief look at this (without seeing the URL). They liked seeing the pictures. I love you lots, and am thankful you love me too!

    Looking forward to our date tonight!

    Jon

    ReplyDelete