Monday, June 22, 2009

TW Summer Study - day 6

Day Six ~ My Body, God's Temple

The following quote really resonated with me,
You are an expression of His glory, created in His image to know Him personally and to make Him known. (TW pg 57)

This chapter began to introduce the concept of "fat machinery".
Anything that pushes us toward eating when we aren't hungry, when we're not yet at that empty 0 runs counter to our godly goals. (TW pg 57)

Four categories were unpacked: conditioned or habitual responses, beliefs, past stories and failures.

An easy way for me to view fat machinery is to think of it as triggers. I'll unpack them a little more in the next chapter post.

In the meantime another thing that stood out to me was the portion or the chapter in regards to the scale. I feel bad because this past week I slid back to using the scale. I was hoping I had finally moved to a phase of the journey where I no longer needed or felt compelled to use it.

Last week's weigh-in was a bit of a roller coaster ride for me. I felt like I'd been so consistent and was in such a good place with TW and my body and with the Lord. To see 159lbs looking back at me on the scale was discouraging. I felt like my "obedience" was not being reflected on the scale. Anyways, I did not slide into a deep pit of muck and mire like I have at other times on my journey...but it did throw me for a spin. It certainly pushed me to make some observations about why I am this weight. I now feel it was a needed reality check.

I still don't exactly know what role I want the scale to play in my journey. Maybe I need these reality checks every now and then.... The following quote from this chapter spoke to this approach to the scale...
We often think things are better or worse than they actually are, so prayerfully using the scales as a reality check from time to time is OK. TW pg 59

I like the concept of the scale being my "reality check" not my "club of condemnation" (or excuse for "permission to celebrate with food").

Once again I feel God's peace and perspective flooding my soul. I want to continue letting this journey flow as it flows, without forcing it into a specific box or form.

No comments:

Post a Comment