Saturday, June 27, 2009

Tw summer Study - day 9

Day Nine ~ Overcoming Obstacles to Restoration: Part 2

Here are a few quotes that stood out to me...

His presence always accompanies us and His power is available to implement whatever He calls us to do. TW pg 85
How encouraging! Thank you, Lord.

He uses even this personal battle you are experiencing and He will redeem it for His glory. TW pg 88
This is awesome!

Joni Eareckson Tada wrote (as quoted in TW on pg88):

God uses suffering to purge sin from our lives, strengthen our committment to Him, force us to depend on grace, bind us together with other believers, produce discernment, foster sensitivity, discipline our minds, spend our time wisely, stretch our hope, cause us to know Christ better, make us long for truth, lead us to repentance of sin, teach us to give thanks in times of sorrow, increase faith, and strengthen character.

This quote has struck a chord with me each and every time I read it. As I re-read it, I broke it down.

God uses suffering to purge sin from our lives
So true. This journey has definitely pushed me to examine my heart more closely.

...strengthen our committment to Him
I agree.

...force us to depend on grace
yes

...bind us together with other believers
Can't say "yes" enough to that! This journey has certainly drawn me into deeper relationship with other sisters in Christ, both near and far.

...produce discernment
yes

...foster sensitivity
yes

...discipline our minds
Absolutely. This has been a huge area of transformation that God has worked in my life.

...spend our time wisely
I need to work on this one. TW day 8 post reminded me of ways I can spend my time even more wisely by serving others in moments of temptation.

...stretch our hope
Yes, yes, yes! And teaching me to PERSEVERE in hoping!

...cause us to know Christ better
Praise God for this gift. What a privilege and joy it has been to get to know Him more deeply over the past two years.

...lead us to repentance of sin
I agree.

...teach us to give thanks in times of sorrow.
I want to foster this more in my life, in both good times and bad.

...increase faith
Absolutely.

...and strengthen character
I believe so.

Praise God for using this journey, this personal battle, and redeeming it for His glory! My heart is filled with joy! I need to remember this and be thankful in those moments when I fall prey to more vain thoughts. Every single one of those descriptions was an internal change...POWERFUL transformations that God has worked. External change can be a wonderful blessing...but internal change is the biggest gift of all.

4 comments:

  1. Christina -- thank you SO much for your response on my blog. It really helped. I get lost in the mire regarding weight loss (as you can tell by how long winded I am on there trying to figure it out) and it was good to hear your views on a food log. Very interesting indeed. I will seek God in seeing whether it will be helpful or a hindrance to me.

    By the way, wasn't it you who referred me to the book on Ephesians I think? I just received it in the mail and will be starting it soon when I end Dallas Willard's "The Spirit of Disciplines" which I'm near the end of.

    Blessings sister!

    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad if you found some encouragement from my words. Praise God. I love your "long winded" posts...they never feel long winded to me! It's just like we're having a conversation or something! You are definitely a gifted writer and communicator.

    In regards to Ephesians...no that wasn't me. Though now I'm curious about it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, gosh, I'm a little embarrassed. I just looked back in my comments and saw that it was actually Yvonne over at Si se puede that recommended the book. It is called "Sit, Watch, Stand" by Watchman Lee. She said it is perfect for someone who "tries and tries and tries" in the Christian life.

    Have a happy Sunday!

    ReplyDelete