Saturday, June 20, 2009

Reign of God

First of all, I've got to be honest....it's been a tough week. I faced the scale on Wednesday due to a doctor's appointment. And it did send me for a bit of a spin. Anyways, I am still working my way through the role of the scale in this journey. My two primary goals~scale or no scale~are #1. glorify God (and God continues impressing on me the importance of surrendering my body to Him by eating 0-5 as a way of glorifying Him) and #2. come to peace with my body. So I continue one step at a time...

Second, my husband (who I have to say was incredibly supportive and encouraging through my spin this week) probed me a bit about my approach to this journey. He challenged me to take another look at Matthew 6:31-33 again...

"So do not worry, saying, 'What shall we eat?' or 'What shall we drink?' or 'What shall we wear?' For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well." Matthew 6:31-33
I love these verses and have highlighted them many times before...but I think I zoned in more on seek first "his righteousness" part of the verse, rather than "his kingdom". I have been seeking to obey Him and be surrendered to Him (in particular with regards to the sin of gluttony and greed)....which is right and good and certainly aligns with the intention of these verses. But the terminology "his kingdom" brings a whole new depth of understanding to these verses which I need to keep in the forefront.

This past year my husband went on a bit of a quest to figure out exactly what Jesus meant in his frequent reference through the gospels to the kingdom of God and kingdom of Heaven. A simple way of understanding it is this kingdom is the reign of God right here and now AND in the age to come. Oftentimes I perceived it as more of a future kingdom...but it is also about the here and now. I have been making an effort to learn more about this kingdom by circling each and every reference to it as I read through the gospels.

So what does God's kingdom look like? That becomes the pressing question. First and foremost God is King. He is Lord and Ruler. If He is the King of my life, I am fully and completely surrendered to His rule in my life in ALL AREAS. Scripture unpacks time and again many characteristics of a life surrendered to Him. I think the fruit of the spirit is a good start since it is reflects much of the character of God...as He increases in our lives we decrease. Other things that come to mind, that Jesus emphasized so often, is caring for the poor and needy. He had such a heart for the oppressed. So I will continue digging into this topic and studying scripture as I still have much more to learn.

I think it is fair to say a life lived with JESUS as King, the greatest Love of my heart and life, naturally becomes an OTHER-centered life. Becoming GOD-focussed means becoming OTHER-centered.

So, as I re-examine the above scripture from Matthew 6:31-33 I can't help but have a fresh realization of the importance of being OTHER-centered. I have often pinpointed one of my primary goals on this journey as being to have "soul satisfaction" through a complete GOD-focus...but I can't help but think that this aspiration can become a bit hollow and self-centered if it is without God's love in action...which is OTHER-centered. I think I'm going to change my main spiritual aspiration from "soul satisfaction" to "delighting in the Lord and His will". I think that encompasses both soul satisfaction, which is growing to love God with all my heart, soul, mind and strength...and also the action that God calls me to...which is to love others. I want my life to be poured out for Him and I want Him to reign as King of my life right here and now and forever.

Sooooo, that starts with RIGHT NOW, today, being more patient and kind and loving towards my husband...as I was a bit "snippety" with him today. It is pouring myself into my kids. It is seeking God's guidance as to which neighbours and friends to spend time with, planting seeds in their lives. Which programs at church does God want me to become part of, impacting lives for His glory? It's about the kids who I see every day at school, who I have the privilege to love and care for. The hurting people that God has brought into my life, whom I get to love, love, and love, pray, support, mentor. The muslim lady, a block away, who is lonely and longs for a friend. Sharing a kind and encouraging word with friends, in-person or online. Returning to Mexico this summer will be another step that I pray will help me become more other-centered for God's glory and purposes. Yikes! I'm getting excited! :-) Delighting in the Lord and His will is clearly not a boring or sedentary thing!!!!

Lord, help me to have the mind of Christ. Help me be Your aroma spreading throughout the world, extending Your love and mercy, teaching others Your truth, spreading the good news of Your grace and mercy and forgiveness, reflecting You in all I say and do. Help me to love You more deeply each day. And help me, in turn, love others for Your glory. Transform me. Mold me into Your image. Renew me. Use me. Guide me. Reign in my life I pray. Amen.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you sooooooo much for posting this! It was such a help to me. The Lord is doing a similar work in my life. I have stayed off the scale, but it has been a battle. My focus has to be on Him and His kingdom. There was a time several years ago, when the Lord did a tremendous work in my heart. Although food wasn't part of the 'work', I dropped 10lbs. without realizing it because my focus was on Him and I wasn't thinking about other things like what I was going to eat, or drink, or put on! I want to get back to this place. That kingdom of God study sounds like something I will do. I already am ready through the gospels and that's a great place to start!

    ReplyDelete