Saturday, June 27, 2009

TW Summer Study - day 8

Day Eight ~ Overcoming obstacles to Restoration: Part 1

It's been awhile since I posted. I actually have had an on-track 0-5 week, which is wonderful, praise God! Though I have to admit I'm still struggling through the freedom from the scale issue.

Okay, moving on... As I thought about taking every thought captive, here are a few beliefs about food that came to mind:
* I need sugary treats each day to feel better. Nothing else will hit the spot.
* Just this one time (overindulging or eating outside 0-5).
* I am doing myself a favor eating up the treat so it won't tempt me later. I'd be back for more later anyways.

Creative options in moments of temptation:
* call a friend, ask God who I can minister to even with a phone call
* write an encouragement note or email to someone every time I feel tempted
* read a book
* have a bath...put out candles and all to add to the distraction!
* put on some music...and maybe even dance to it

As I type this up I'm hit with the realization that an effective way out of temptation is focussing on serving the LORD and OTHERS, rather than serve MYSELF in those moments. I'm looking forward to applying this thought.

Preplanning for trials:
I have so much appreciated this concept, the intentional nature of everything, not being blown around by every whim and desire. I try to do this a lot, calling it "setting myself up for victory." I don't want to give the devil a foothold. In TLT the concept of links of a chain was described and how we need to make sure we destroy the links that lead to sin. (or something along those lines! I'm just remembering off the top of my head:-)

Wise choices:
These words on page 81 hit me like a ton of bricks. I need to make wise choices more frequently. Something for me to think about more.

Okay, that's the summary of what hit me for this chapter. Onto the next chapter:-)

No comments:

Post a Comment