Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Thin Again - ch 2 Questions

I feel a bit inadequate answering many of these questions as many people have experienced much deeper, more hurtful things in their lives. My answers may seem insensitive and "fluffy" to those who have experienced this degree of pain... I answered the questions to the best of my ability given my own experiences.... I also withheld some answers that were a little too personal to share in this public forum.

What is required in order to be “restored”?
We must allow God to move and to work in us, speaking through our silent hunger that we’ve tried in vain to satisfy.


What was most meaningful to you about the story of Lazarus being raised from the dead?
I had never noticed that his family/friends were called upon to unwrap him. It was quite an interesting picture in my mind. I know God has called certain people into my life to “unwrap” me in many areas of my life. If I take this a step beyond hunger issues, I see this analogy can be used in just about any area
God is calling me to grow and become more like Him. I appreciate friends who help “sharpen” me.

“As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.” Proverbs 27:17


What is meant by “grave clothes”?
The author’s pinpoint our disordered eating for this analogy. I think grave clothes could refer to anything in my life that prevents me from being spiritually “healthy” and alive, living in right relationship and obedience to Christ…which eventually spills over into other areas of my life (physical, relational, emotional etc.) and prevents me from glorifying God and shining for Him as effectively. In a nutshell the way I would envision ‘grave clothes’ is any area of my life that is NOT SURRENDERED to Christ.


List anything in your life that might be considered grave clothes.
At times….
- my disordered eating
- my strong emotions that I know my husband has been called to help me keep in check
- my poor use of time which eventually begins to show effects on my spiritual, physical and emotional condition


Who would you be willing to have help you remove your grave clothes?
Obviously my husband first and foremost. I have also surrounded myself with supportive friends – online and in person – who can help me in this area of surrender to God and restoration.


How does deception and/or denial contribute to your disordered eating?
I’m not sure if it is even classified as deception/denial when I binge eat. I have a hard time even labelling my overeating spurts as “binges” but in reality that’s what they are…. When I eat outside of 0-5 parameters I KNOW I’m not being obedient….yet, I still KNOWINGLY keep doing it. I’m not sure it is deception or denial at all….but rather flat out disobedience/rebellion on my part.


What happens when we choose to allow our grave clothes to be removed?
“Where denial darkens our path and compulsions hide and confine us, the light of God’s love gently and compassionately penetrates the layers of our most ingrained defense mechanisms and coaxes us out of the tomb into the light…. When we choose to allow the unwrapping of our grave clothes, we find a God who infinitely loves us and desires that we grow up into the fullness of the stature of Christ.” (TA pg 41)

We begin to comprehend and appreciate our value and worth and accept ourselves as we see ourselves through God’s eyes.
"When we are restored to intimacy with God and receive his love, we become open to genuine intimacy with those around us.” (TA pg 45)


Describe your perfect family of God.

I wonder what the author means by family of God…earthly or heavenly? I see so many flaws and shortcomings with the family of God here on earth. I see that we are called to a different kind of community where we are called to sharpen and encourage others in the faith and to become more like Christ…unwrapping the grave clothes of each other. However I see the shortcomings far more often then not. I know (and am exceedingly grateful for) certain people in my life who are sisters/brothers in Christ who embody the characteristics the author is drawing out – accepting, trusting, grateful, unconditional love, allowing freedom, gentle, worthwhile. Yet I believe we’re never perfect until we are in Heaven. We can never trust anybody as we can trust God.


How does God see you?
His child. He looks at me with love and care. He sees me as full of potential to glorify Him in all I say and do and yet also sees my shortcomings and graciously continues to extend His love and mercy to me and help equip me to overcome these shortcomings and ultimately glorify Him.


How do you see yourself?

I believe I am “fearfully and wonderfully made”. I have grown to understand that God sees all that I am and has designed me for a purpose just the way I am. I may have to experience “sickness or death” in certain areas just as Lazarus did, yet He will ultimately be glorified as I mature and grow in my faith and surrender more and more of myself to Him.


What can we look forward to when God restores us?
“Renewed intimacy with God and ourselves quiets the insistent cry of our silent hunger and satisfies us in ways that nothing of this world or of our own doing can… We find a deep sense of security and significance based on God’s image of us, knowing we are accepted by God as we are… When we are restored to intimacy with God and receive his love, we become open to genuine intimacy with those around us.” (TA pg 45)

“Removing our grave clothes bring us to truth. When we know the truth, we are freed from our attempts to fill our need for intimacy with food rather than with our living God. We are freed from our distorted view of God and ourselves, and we are freed for the true intimacy that will allow us to receive and give genuine life-giving love.” (TA pg. 46)




I still have to read the scripture readings that are suggested... Will get to that tomorrow. This book definitely takes more time and thought then TW did! But it's really good thinking material :-)



View my Daily Food Log here.


No comments:

Post a Comment