Friday, July 17, 2009

Family Mission Trip

MEXICO HERE WE COME!
I can hardly believe how fast time is flying by this summer. We'll be on a plane, heading down to Mexico, this upcoming Wednesday! Wow!

Here's a bit of information about what this trip entails.

We are heading down to the Mayan Riviera, landing in Cancun. We will be spending about 6 days family vacation time in Akumal and Tulum, within about 2 hours of Cancun, at the beach. Then from there we are heading via a 4-5 hour bus ride inland, to an orphanage start up in a little village named Dzan, near Merida. We will stay with a missionary family for two weeks and help out as much as possible. And then we're back to the ocean for another 6 nights of family vacation time, in Playa del Carmen. And then fly back home again! It is going to be quite an adventure!

We visited this same family last year and helped out for 10 days. The orphanage is called "Bridge of Love" and the family we stay with are Steve & Marta Fletcher. They have seven orphans living in their home at present along with their own three kids. And the orphanage site is pretty much completed so they will be moving onto the next stage of things pretty shortly I imagine.

We look forward to just hanging out with LOTS of kids all day long:-) There always seem to be kids around....often have no clue who they are! I have planned lots of bible stories and games and crafts which we will bring down with us. We will try to spend as much time as possible investing in these kids lives and extending God's love to them. Last year Jon also helped with some maintenance/building type stuff. And I helped LOTS in the kitchen as there was always a need of some sort! Marta has quite the crew to cook and clean for every single day! I also taught some basic piano to anyone interested. We went for walks, had lots of water fights (since it is HOT HOT HOT there!) and just had such a blessed time. This is a special family and special kids they have brought under their wing. Our kids, age 6 and 8 last summer, seemed to fit in naturally and beautifully though they couldn't communicate with most of the kids since they didn't know spanish.

Sooooooooooo, that is what we are looking forward to in the upcoming month.

We're also looking forward to some wonderful family vacation time. I can hardly believe we'll be snorkelling with sea turtles in five or six days! That's crazy! I'm really hoping our youngest will give snorkelling a try this year. God sure created awesome things under the sea!

We're definitely anxious about travel as it will be a no-seatbelt month quite likely. Hmm...I'm just thinking it may be a worthwhile prayer to pray for taxis which actually have seatbelts! Also, there are other safety concerns as life is just so different there in Mexico versus North America. All prayers are COVETTED!

In regards to discipline issues... I know it will be very difficult to always eat at #0 while at the Fletcher's in particular. I'll aim to stay within 0-5 the best I can with the Lord's help. And the biggest thing I'll be vigilant and prayerful about will be my greed-meter and to remain God-focused and other-focused. If I can watch these aspects I think 0-5 boundaries will fall into place more easily. I will continue to remain intentional and keep a private food log. I know that things flowed and worked out in this regard last year and I want to continue with the same attitude for the most part...though I may be cutting back on how many tortillas I eat in a sitting! I think I overdid that last year!

I think that sums up where things are going in the upcoming month. I'm excited for all that God has in store. I'm nervous about some details and safety issues. I'm feeling blessed to be able to even head down there again. I'm filled with eagerness and anticipation to rekindle the friendships and relationships that started last year. I'm waiting in expectation for God to move. I'm as ready as I can be!

Lord, use us. May our family spread the aroma of your love and grace everywhere we go. I pray for safety and health as we travel. I pray that we would be able to serve you to the best of our ability and that your all-surpassing power would be made evident as we, your humble jars of clay, step out in faith and desire to extend your love to people in need. I pray that YOU would be magnified and glorified. I pray that seeds would be planted and hearts would turn towards You. Amen.

4 comments:

  1. Will be praying..oh what a lovely adventure you will be embarking on. Looking forward to reading all about it. ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appreciate your prayers so very much. I'll keep you updated on things:-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have a great trip. You'll be missed. Prayers for traveling mercies...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Laura.

    BTW we're heading off on Monday.

    ReplyDelete