Tuesday, July 7, 2009

TW Summer Study - day 11

Day Eleven ~ Removal of the Rubble

Rubble is defined as "broken bits and pieces of anything, as that which is demolished."

Has gluttony and greed been demolished, destroyed, ruined, torn down, laid to waste yet? I guess I feel like God has given me a measure of victory in this battle... But I feel a bit like the Israelites at times, clinging to some of the idols, stealing some of the forbidden plunder...not allowing the ruin to be complete. Sometimes I even wonder if I have some walls still standing.

Regardless, God desires the rubble to be removed. I know He wants me to be whole and healed and free in Him. That is the point of this chapter.

Here is probably the largest piece of rubble that I see lingering in the ruins...
This is my body, and I can do with it as I please. TW pg110
Ah, flat out rebellion! A good old temper tantrum! A self-focussed, pleasure-seeking attitude.

Not only are you a temple, a santuary in which God has chosen to dwell, but you are set apart by Him and for Him. You are His! TW pg111
If I could *really* connect with the above truth, I know I would experience a new level of freedom in Christ.

Set apart. His temple. What a privilege and honor and joy. I am humbled and excited and nervous all at once!

This ol' jar of clay?! You sure, Lord? Wow! You really do love me!

His provision... He empowers... We can live in peace... TW pg112

Peace. This is what I am seeking at this point in my TW journey. I want to be present in His Presence and experience His peace.

Here is some more rubble that the chapter highlighted which I could well relate to...

Lie: The joy I get from eating is worth any suffering that happens as a result.
Far too often this is the kind of thinking I have. I know in my heart that I will regret it later...but I go ahead anyways and eat outside the 0-5 boundaries or eat what I know is not what God is directing me towards.
Truth: Rejoice in the Lord always. Phil. 4:4
True joy only comes from the Lord. I need to remember this. There are no regrets when I feed on Living Water and the Bread of Life.

Lie: I will worry about getting control of my eating when things aren't so crazy or hectic.
Hmm... Sounds like a classic line that I use just about every chance I get. There will ALWAYS be an excuse! Honestly! I believe I could make up one for just about every day of the year! Anyways, the one I'm dealing with right now is summer travels. I know things are going to be out of whack, particularily when we head to Mexico (same place as last year) and are living according to the schedule of our host family for 2 weeks...and then of course when we are enjoying the family vacation portion and being tempted to do the "tourist nibbling" thing. So I could easily pull out this excuse and stop being intentional... But... I know this is not a renewing of my mind with truth.
Truth: Now listen, you who say, "Today or tomorrow we will go to this or that city, spend a year there, carry on business and make money." Why, you do not even know what will happen tomorrow. What is your life? You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes. James 4:13-15
The truth of the matter is that since I can always make up an excuse, no excuse is a good excuse! I must live intentionally in step with the Lord, in the Presence of the Lord, in the PRESENT....not just in the future! NOW is the time! The Kingdom of God, the reign of God, is NOW for His child.

And the thing I appreciate most about God is that He is gracious...and He is not leaving me unequipped... Rather, His word says (as paraphrased TW pg114) You have been given everything you need for life and godliness by His very great and precious promises (2 Peter 1:3).

Here's a quote I love and bears repeating...
You can say, "I can't," as long as in the next breath you say, "But, God, You can." (as quoted by Kay Arthur in TW on pg114)
The prayer on pg115 is my prayer today:
Please break me where I am proud and strengthen me where I am weak so I can surrender fully to You and to the power of Your transforming grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment