Thursday, July 9, 2009

TW Summer Study - day 12

Day Twelve ~ Furnishing the Halls of the Mind
Once again the title is grabbing my attention. "Furnishing" brings many images to mind. I'm NOT inclined towards interior decorating in the least! Though I do like to make sure our home is adequately furnished with comfortable furniture, dishes, pictures on the walls, plants etc.

Last chapter was about demolishing and removing the rubble. This chapter is about moving in, having a fresh start. What kinds of things am I going to allow to line the walls of my mind? What fills my every waking thought?

And when the term "practising the presence of God" was mentioned on pg 123 it came together and clicked for me. I am being reminded to once again take each and every moment in step with the Lord, present in His Presence.

This chapter introduced Larry the Legalist, Maureen the Manipulator and Abigail the Achiever. I think I have a tendency to be any one of those at any moment in time. Though I think I most relate to Larry as I often get sidetracked onto this path of legalism that makes me feel like I am in control...and then WHAM! I find out I am definitely NOT in control!!!! My fleshly desires and urges are VERY strong and alive and active and kicking just as described in Galatians 5:17!
For the sinful nature desires what is contrary to the Spirit, and the Spirit what is contrary to the sinful nature. They are in conflict with each other, so that you do not do what you want. Galatians 5:17
I appreciated these words, paraphrased from various scripture verses:
"In Christ," I am inspired by His Spirit... "In Christ," I am equipped for whatever He calls me to do... "In Christ..." I am free, no longer a slave to sin. TW pg122
Inspired. Equipped. Free.

That is the path I want to be on. The path of God's provision under the canopy of His grace.

Today I have been focussing on practising His presence. I have been aiming to take every inclination and thought captive to Him, desiring to be "free to hear the voice of the Spirit leading and directing me." (TW pg123)

I have often spoken about this concept with others when explaining TW to them...but often forget to apply and ask the Lord "What should I eat for lunch today? What is pleasing in Your sight? When should I stop Lord?" I usually remember to have a grateful heart at mealtimes and use the opportunities to praise and thank Him for the food before me, though this is harder at family mealtimes... But to actually apply discernment to my eating choices according to His Spirit's leading is something I have not been practising very effectively or frequently.

Thank You Lord that You are able and willing to make all grace abound to Your children, so that in all things at all times, having all that we need, we will abound in every good work. (2 Corinthians 9:8)

No comments:

Post a Comment