Friday, November 28, 2008

The Lord's Table~Day 3.4,5,6

Day 3 ~ Victory is Here at Last

The emphasis of this lesson was on filling up on God's word. Opening wide our mouths and letting God fill us. Here's a great line,
"The truth is we need to be FAT on Jesus." TLT pg9

-------------------------------------

Day 4 ~ Fasting

This was a really interesting lesson. I am definitely being challenged in this area of fasting. I have done it very rarely throughout my christian walk.

I do remember some pretty amazing answers to prayer throughout times of fasting though. Years ago I had felt God compelling me to fast and pray for a day for the unbelieving husband of one of my best friends as his job was on the line. And God miraculously worked the whole situation out that very day! It was so awesome how God got the glory as I had told my friend I was going to take time to fast and pray about their situation. I can clearly see how God has used this pivotal point in his spiritual walk. He's still not surrendered his heart to God...yet he goes to his wife (and me) asking us to pray for things that are a concern to him! He clearly knows that God is answering prayer! And that is pretty cool!

Okay, I digress!

This lesson unpacks some of the the things fasting should NOT be:
  • for show
  • to draw attention to yourself
  • being short-tempered, grumpy throughout

And things fasting SHOULD be:
  • in secret
  • freeing us from bondage, breaking sins power
  • other centered
  • satisfying
  • worshipping God
  • praying
  • confessing sin
  • hearing from the Lord

I found this a very thought-provoking and challenging lesson! One that I definitely want to apply on a regular basis in my own life.


-------------------------------------

Day 5 ~ Food is Not the Problem
This lesson focuses on how diets aren't the solution to our food and weight loss issues.
Food is not the problem! The problem is indulging the flesh... It is the prayer of the leadership of "The Lord's Table" that your cup is overflowing and that you must drink off the saucer because of it. TLT pg16
Those words paint a pretty neat picture! Drinking off the saucer!!!


-------------------------------------

Day 6 ~ Two Kinds of Food
The two kinds are physical and spiritual food. I love one of the verses that was highlighted.
As Jesus was tempted by the devil in the desert He answers, "It is written, 'MAN SHALL NOT LIVE ON BREAD ALONE, BUT ON EVERY WORD THAT PROCEEDS OUT OF THE MOUTH OF GOD.'" Matthew 4:4
This scripture was a good reminder of how Jesus dealt with temptation. And He was pointing directly to the source of true abundant life and satisfaction: GOD!


Now putting my thoughts together....

This study has not miraculously "cured" me of my greed for food! However it has begun to stir a greater desire for filling up on spiritual food - "real food" and "real drink," Jesus Himself! 0-5 eating has not been 100% consistent. Yet there have been shining moments in the past week where I can see some growth and change. Oh to be "fat on Jesus"!

Here are a few things God is impressing on me:

1.) God will be my morning "alarm clock". I'll explain that in my next post!

2.) Memorize scripture while I cook. I will print out verses on index cards and put them in front of me on the kitchen cupboards to study as I prepare foods. I think that may help me keep focused on spiritual food not just simply physical food.

3.) Eating needs to be entirely focused on God the giver of good gifts. Pray for discernment prior to eating and throughout - what to eat, how much, when to stop etc. Invite God into each eating experience. Say a prayer of thank-you to the Lord with EACH bite I take. Prior to each time I eat I think it would be wise to spend a couple minutes in His word and prayer.

4.) Continue taking fast days on a regular basis, with the RIGHT motives and approach that lines up with God's word.

5.) Limit sugars. I can see how much sugars master me. I'm going to aim for one serving per day, possibly equal to about 100 calories (not that I'll be counting really religiously with this, just a ball park aim!). And I need to savour those treats....and also be willing to sacrifice them to the Lord if that is what He calls me to.

Lord I want to further surrender this area to You. I have arrived at a place where eating 0-5 is the norm. Yet my heart is still greedy for physical food. Please change me and cut out the root of sin my heart. In Jesus name, amen.

1 comment:

  1. I have receipe cards with scriptures written on the fronts and back. those are placed on my desk in the daycare room. At times of stress, or when I desire to worship, or need strength, as the children are playing, or eating their lunch, etc. I get those cards out and allow the Word of God to wash over my spirit..YUM YUM..it is SO wonderful..I also have another journal where I have written scriptures out, that is placed in my rec room. I read from that as the daycare children are having free play just before Quiet Time Circle..just to quiet my heart, fill up with His presence.

    I have scriptures written in my Prayer Journal and daily journal where I just pour out my heart to Jesus in praise. I read those each morning also.

    You can NEVER go wrong memorizing God's Word, and just meditating upon His Word that you have written down. Those scriptures will come to your mind throughout the day, God will bring them to you as you are having a conversation with someone, or when you are weak and in need of encouragement. He WORD SHALL NOT RETURN TO HIM VOID!! Alleluia, I love that scripture,,what He says, will come to pass..as you speak His Word, meditate upon His Word, it will BE activated in your life girl, in your heart, mind, spirit and spilling out to everyone around you...glory to God!! He is so good!
    ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete