Thursday, November 20, 2008

Thin Within~Day 28

Today's chapter was dealing with another reason we often get weary...we procrastinate from doing that which God calls us to do.

So often that's me in a nutshell! I get weary just *thinking* about my to-do list and get so overwhelmed I just don't even get started!!! Lately I have been tackling a few things on my to-do list and it has felt good:-) Our laundry room is on the mend, I called a whole bunch of places to update them on some changes to payment methods, I've cleaned out the tupperware cupboard and pots & pans cupboard... You get the picture... It's felt good to get some of those jobs tackled head on. I still have quite a few more on the list though.

I know it is important to keep on top of things around the household because it certainly affects my emotions and "mood" and in turn affects my husband. Just two weeks ago he was feeling frustrated for this very reason. It created quite a bit of tension between us. I was surprised to see how much my "laziness" or procrastinating was affecting him.

The other area I really need to tackle is staying on top of budget updates on a daily basis. I find I keep procrastinating in that area and I know that Jon is depending on me to be responsible in that area.

The other aspect this chapter deals with is being still and reflecting on God and finding rest.

So....today after tackling some laundry and housecleaning, I was going to keep going full throttle and stay busy...and then it hit me.... No, I need to stop, lie down and just pray and rest. So, half an hour later, here I am, feeling much more refreshed and rested and having enjoyed some quiet with the Lord. Feels so much better then staying busy!!!

Here's a quick recap of some of the ways we can experience the rest Christ promises in teh midst of our busy and bustling lives (TW pg296):

#1. By coming to Him when He calls.
#2. By admitting that we are weary and burdened.
#3. By bowing our heads and willingly placing our burdens in His yoke.
#4. By learning from Him.

Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light. Matthew 11:28-30

Thanks Lord for the rest and peace you offer. Amen.

2 comments:

  1. Great post because we as women tend to do "everything". When I fail, I know it affects my moods and overeating. I think tackling the list a little at a time is wise, and resting in Him is a must. The picture of the kitten is so cute, it gave me an image of you stretched out and resting in your Father's loving arms.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "get weary just *thinking* about my to-do list and get so overwhelmed I just don't even get started!!! "

    I totally connect with this statement. I've been praying to God for quite some time now to help me be wise with my time, with my role as a homemaker, and to not be overcome with laziness and procrastination...this was a powerful post..thank you...

    ReplyDelete