Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Well-Watered Garden

God has been painting a picture for me today… A picture of a well-watered garden.

First of all I need to start by saying I am as far from having a green thumb as ANYONE could get!!! I seriously am NOT into gardening… Yet I DO greatly appreciate the beauty of a well-kept lush garden. I appreciate all the care and work that some people put into their gardens.

My neighbour always has the most beautiful flowers/plants immaculately lining her yard. I haven’t seen her backyard, but I’m sure it is picture-perfect! She is always careful about making sure they are watered, weeded and cared for.

And then there are the “naturally” watered gardens that God has planted all over the world—beautiful forests and meadows filled with every imaginable flower and tree and grass and on the list goes! I have to say that in all the earth probably one of my favorite spots to be is in a beautiful lush forest! I LOVE the smells, the sounds, the cool refreshing air, the beauty, the quietness... EVERYTHING! It completely lifts my eyes to my Creator!

So I thought I’d research a little bit about why water is so essential to plants. And here is what I found…

* it keeps the plants alive
* assists seed germination
* increases the size of the plants
* dry soil distresses plants, tying up nutrients and killing delicate root tips, removing water from the plants
* light water results in shallow root development for the plants.

Water is clearly essential for life to flourish.

And God impressed on my heart today that He wants *ME* to be like a lush well-watered garden.

The LORD will guide you always;
he will satisfy your needs in a sun-scorched land
and will strengthen your frame.
You will be like a well-watered garden,
like a spring whose waters never fail.
Isaiah 58:11

They will come and shout for joy on the heights of Zion;
they will rejoice in the bounty of the LORD
—the grain, the new wine and the oil,
the young of the flocks and herds.
They will be like a well-watered garden,
and they will sorrow no more.
Jeremiah 31:12


And He wants me to deep have roots and bear much fruit.

So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live in him, rooted and built up in him, strengthened in the faith as you were taught, and overflowing with thankfulness.
Colossians 2:6-7

And here’s another picture of a garden…

I am the true vine, and my Father is the gardener. He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit, while every branch that does bear fruit he prunes so that it will be even more fruitful…. I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing. John 15:1-2, 5, 7


Hmmm… As I think about the image of God as the Gardener, that’s pretty cool! He is the One who makes sure all my needs are met. He makes sure I get the water, sunlight, pruning, weeding and tending that I need. He knows what is best for me to flourish and grow. His provisions are abundantly evident in each and every blessing that I have the privilege of experiencing and through each and every challenge and trial through which I am shaped and “pruned”.

So often the soil of my heart is dry and parched and needs a good watering from God my Gardener, the only kind that He can provide me with. Far too often I need a good old-fashioned weeding. Boy can those thistles and other stubborn weeds settle into the soil of my heart! I definitely need the expert Gardener if I want to have a well-watered lush garden in my heart!

And as I grow deeper roots new seeds sprout up with new plants and fruit begins to become evident.

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness,
goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law.
Galatians 6:22-23

This is to my Father's glory, that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves to be my disciples. John 15:8


As I “feast” at the Lord’s table, and turn to God for “water” and for “real food” and “real drink” then He will shape me and transform me into His image. It will be evident that I am His disciple.

Now here's a quick snapshot of what life would look like if I was truly exemplifying the fruits of the spirit in my heart and life…

I would love my husband, children, friends, strangers…even enemies…as God first loved me.

I would have joy that would have nothing to do with circumstances and all to do with the Lord.

I would have peace that would transcend understanding. I’m a true worry-wart, so that would be pretty amazing if I could really trust Him more and more fully and rest peacefully in Him and His sovereignty.

I would have patience with my kids!! Add my husband to that list!

I would be kind and good to those around me. Right now I’m thinking even more globally. I know I would be more other-centered, thinking of those in need across the world.

I would be gentle with my kids, gentle with my husband, gentle with my words…

And I would be self-controlled. That means I would not be mastered by anything except Christ. I would be able to say “no” to that extra chocolate calling my name. I'd set appropriate boundaries. I'd eat 0-5 consistently. I’d be able to hold back from saying cutting or inappropriate words. I’d be able to make good use of my time. And it would all be because I’d be remaining in Jesus.

As I look back at all that fruit I have to say THAT garden is awesome! I want THAT! I know there are many studies on the fruits of the spirit (and the other passages of scripture I mentioned) so I’m just touching the tip of the iceberg! But even this short small glimpse of what my life would look like if my soul was like a well-watered garden with God as my Gardener is enough to get me pretty excited!!!

Lord, thank you for “real food” and “real drink” that you offer. I open wide my mouth and want to be filled by You alone. Prune me, cut out all the dead yucky stuff in my heart and life. Convict me I pray. Change me and grow my heart into a lush garden, I pray. In Jesus name, amen.

2 comments:

  1. May God be gracious to you and bless you and make His face shine upon you today and always. amen amen amen

    I love your banner, the good work that He has started..I quote that so many times..Isn't it COMFORTING..alleiua..He WILL not leave us the same.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wanted to add,,I LOVE how your 'feed' my spirit with His Word.

    ReplyDelete