Monday, November 10, 2008

ThinWithin~Day18, 19, 20

I know my blog hasn't been exactly active the past week or so! And also not exactly positive, upbeat and motivating! But I'm still here. And I know this is part of the journey. I will have my valleys and times where I take a detour from God's path...and then, praise be to God for His faithfulness and grace, I am able to get back on His path. I'm committed to this process, through its ups and downs. As Susan so aptly wrote here,
I have finally (after years of going around the same woodshed) come to the realization that this journey is not going to end in my lifetime. And for the first time I am ok with that. Because the journey in learning to be a thin eater really mirrors my journey into being transformed into His likeness.

THIS I can relate to. THIS is why I don't give up.
And we, who with unveiled faces all reflect the Lord's glory, are being transformed into his likeness with ever-increasing glory, which comes from the Lord, who is the Spirit. 2 Corinthians 3:18

So onto my TW readings. Here's a quote that struck me...
When we acknowledge that we have chosen to do what is right in our own eyes, such as eat that third donut, we have made a choice in the flesh. We stand in agreement with God and confess that we have made a DETOUR from the path of God's provision. If our hearts are open to Him, we will see that the scenery is much grander back on His path. So we humbly admit to Him that we have wandered off the road. This is the first step of repentance. TW pg194

I have definitely been taking a detour the past couple weeks. I slipped
down the slippery slope and found myself in the muck and mire...or more rightly, in a pile of candy wrappers and other sugary treats, gluttonous and greedy for food.

Following up an exercise in Chapter 19 on pg 198:
"I choose to receive Your (God's) forgiveness for myself for..."
...my willful rebellious detour the past few weeks. I can see that ever since July, when my weight settled into my BMI zone, that I have allowed food to once again increase in importance. I have not fully surrendered to You. Please forgive me. Help me not "play" thin and surrendered...but actually BE surrendered to You on the INSIDE. No acting. No following a fixed formula. No pushing the boundaries. Help me be surrendered. I thank You for Your forgiveness. Amen.

I found it interesting to note the shift in my attitude towards food, eating & surrender since early summer. (That's nearly 5 months already! How crazy is that!!)

Would I be willing to once again leave the best bite on my plate as a sacrifice to the Lord?
Would I be willing to skip dessert if I'm already at a #5?
And then I had a verse hit me yesterday as I pondered "more of Him and less of me."
He must increase, but I must decrease. John 3:30

And then I read a quote from Mike Cleveland in "The Lord's Table" (as highlighted in Heidi's post.)
Overeating is defined as continuing to eat past the point of receiving all we need to sustain our lives.

How often do I push the boundaries, eating so much beyond what is needed to sustain my life?
How often do I push God to the side and take first place and do things MY own way?

He must increase, I must decrease.
For me to turn down the extra candy bars I'm craving, to not have dessert because I'm already satisfied, to not take that extra serving of pizza, to not munch on something just because I feel like it....is for me to decrease and HIM to increase! Because in all honesty I can't do this on my own in my own strength. He will HAVE to increase if I'm to have victory in this area.

So I offer ALL of me to the Lord. There are many areas besides eating and gluttony that I need to surrender to the Lord: laziness, thoughts that aren't pleasing to God, my words/speech, my attitudes...

Therefore, I urge you, brothers, in view of God's mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God--this is your spiritual act of worship. Romans 12:1-2
More of Him. Less of me. He must increase. I must decrease.

6 comments:

  1. This is quite a journey, and one I agree, that is not going to end in my lifetime. The sermon I heard in church yesterday touched on "offer your bodies as living sacrifices". Our Pastor said that the trouble with "living" sacrifices, is we keep trying to crawl back off the altar. We may night be able to totally surrender this area of our life to God, but my prayer is that as I grow in Him, the detours will become fewer and the days of surrender will increase. Glad you're back! I've said it before, I don't know what I'd do without Christian sisters like you, who know my pain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great analogy...living sacrifices wanting to crawl back off the altar. Very true.

    Thanks for your encouragement, paula:-) I appreciate it!

    Also, I ordered The Lords Table book online so I will be starting to read that in the next while. Reading through Heidi's and your posts I can see there is something in that material that will help me further surrender this area to the Lord. I chose to order the book rather then do the online free version as per Heidi's advice.

    Thanks again for your encouragement. You are much appreciated as well!

    In Christ,
    Christina :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've asked God how am I to share with others when they come to me and ask how I lost all that weight, and be able to give Him glory for it. John 3;30 is what He placed on my heart.
    He must increase, I must decrease. I share that God is getting rid of everything that is NOT of Him, and the less weight I lost, the more He increass on the inside and outside. I share this even with non believers,,lol. Hey, gotta be truthful!
    It's ironic that your struggling right now, because this is my own struggle. Your words can be my very own words. Thank you so much for sharing from your heart. It has greatly ministered to me. I keep hearing God tell me, "I've brought you this far Angela, I'm not going to let you go now".
    I've gleaned alot from your post. Thank you beloved sister..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Christina, your posts always inspire me. Even though you struggle, you have such a great heart and honest prayers. You really encourage me on my own journey, and for that I thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Angela: What a great response to people in regards to weight release. That's awesome:-) I think I just may "steal" that line:-) That's an easy way to explain the transformation process.

    Kelly: Thanks for your encouraging words. I'm so thankful that God can use all my stumbles for His glory!

    Have a great day ladies!
    Love and prayers,
    Christina :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know you'll enjoy The Lord's Table. I wish I had taken Heidi's advice and purchased the book. I may have to step down from the online version because I feel condemned if I don't do my daily exercise, etc. No fault of my Mentor, but I want to be accountable to God and not be legalistic about things. I believe The Lord's Table is a great companion book for Thin Within.

    ReplyDelete