Sunday, November 23, 2008

The Lord's Table~Day 1

After reading Heidi & Paula's posts in regards to The Lord's Table, I felt convicted that I needed to study this material. I ordered the workbook and it arrived in the mail just the other day.

I had read about TLT before and come across their eating plan (liquids, half days, fasting days etc) and had completely disregarded the whole program because it just seemed too regimented and like a "diet."

But then I read that they have optional eating plan #2: GBS--Permission-Based Eating. GBS is short for Growly Belly Syndrome. While I no longer believe I need a rumbly tummy to distinguish whether I'm hungry or not, it is personally my most common signal for true physiological hunger. Putting that aside, I came to see that TLT wasn't going to be going a different direction than TW if I follow the permission-based eating plan.

I love the term "Permission-Based Eating" because of the simplicity of the term!


"Permission-Based Eating = Eating only when our bodies gives us permission to do so (by growling at us)." Mike Cleveland
I believe we can each follow our own personal "bodometer" readings (as TW encourages) to discern whether it is time to feed our bodies or not. It always amazes me how God has designed our bodies to know exactly when and how much to eat! It really and truly flies in the face of the diet industry's (MAN'S) rules and regulations!

Okay, moving onto day one, which I studied today.

--------------------------------------------------------

Day 1 ~ Proper Motivation: The Glory of God

My eyes were opened to the fact that my motives for losing/maintaining a reasonable weight get off track. I yo-yo between two ends of the spectrum.

Often-times my main motivation is the *correct* one....to surrender this area to God FOR HIS GLORY ALONE. I desire to cut out the root of sin in my heart, seeking His help and relying on Him and also enjoying increased intimacy with Him! I try to direct all the glory to Him for any successes/victories every chance I get.

Other times I yo-yo to the other end. I want to fit into my "skinny" jeans. I admire my slimmer body. I care more about what I wear. I know that deep down I often want to be noticed, to be thought more attractive, for people to notice I've lost weight and comment.

My heart is convicted. I know my primary motivation needs to be to do all things for HIS GLORY ALONE. I think this is part of the reason I've been yo-yoing around with inconsistent 0-5 eating. I need to focus on the fact that it really and truly should be all about God and NOT about me. I believe the changes WILL stick if I keep my focus on Him. As I deny self and follow 0-5 eating on account of HIM not on account of manipulating my weight so I can "show off" or impress people, then I know that I'll really and truly be a new creation.

Once again...

He must increase. I must decrease.

More of Him. Less of me.


So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God. 1 Corinthians 10:31

3 comments:

  1. This was an eye opening day for me in TLT. I saw how losing weight was all about me and it needed to be about Him and Him only. I had a rough past couple of days. Although I didn't do extreme binging, sadly, I ate when I wasn't hungry...sigh...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too want to do the Lord's table after I finish TW. =) I am enjoying your posts as always!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can definitely identify with what you have shared here, Christina! I can't wait to see how God ministers to you through this.

    ReplyDelete