Saturday, October 29, 2011

Gatekeeper of the Home

First of all, after my snacking incident Thursday night, I managed to get fully back on track Friday. Praise praise praise God! I just am so thankful for His mercies and faithfulness and strength.

I was watching a talk show on Thursday night on the topic of overweight children and a guest was mentioning how moms are like the gatekeeper of the house in terms of the kinds of food that enter the house, get prepared etc. This really convicted me on the need to do a better job in this area.

And the conviction goes a little deeper when I see how impressionable my 12 year old daughter is. Ever since I began making intentional healthy choices and watching my hunger and fullness and cutting out sugar.....she has been emulating my behavior. She has been watching. She has been inspired. She has been making the same healthy choices. I'm so encouraged to see this in her..... And convicted as I know I've been a setback to her for far too many years.

I've always been pretty careful about making sure healthy foods enter the home and I prepare well rounded healthy meals to enjoy around the table. But I've also allowed sugary treats to become too much of a centerpiece in our home. So this is the area I have a responsibility to set up guard in. This is an encouraging and challenging thought. And I can already see the positive results when I step up to the plate and do my job:-)

No comments:

Post a Comment