Monday, January 5, 2009

Counting My Blessings...

A big surpise!
Okay, this just takes the cake. I'm still getting such a kick out of this whole situation! What a sense of humor God has:-)
So, here's a recap of our guinea pig adventures:
First, we got Vanilla (a 2 year old) through an internet ad search back on October 27th. Then a few weeks later we added Oreo (apparently about 12 weeks old) from a pet store in our area. Then, sadly, Vanilla died on December 30th. Then we went to the pet store last night, January 4th, to pick up another female guinea pig. We added Cookie (apparently about 7 weeks old) to our family. Oreo and Cookie seemed to be a little on edge when we introduced them to each other last night so I put Cookie in a box beside the cage so that I wouldn't have to worry about Oreo harming Cookie in the night.
Well, this morning I went downstairs to check on them and re-introduce them...and I see this big ball of fur under Oreo. My first thought was that Cookie must somehow have miraculously climbed over the box side and into the cage and that they were getting along extremely well.
But something seemed fishy about that. First of all it would have to be a miracle for Cookie to climb over the wall of the box since it is a large computer box...although I must admit she was a pretty feisty thing who appeared to enjoy climbing so I wouldn't put it past her! Second, the ball of fur was very black which didn't seem quite consistent with Cookie's mix of colors.
Then lo and behold out from under Oreo come TWO LITTLE BLACK BABY GUINEA PIGS!!! They are SOOOO cute! We didn't even know Oreo was pregnant!!!! We must have bought her from the pet store already impregnated!!! (I'd heard of that before and would definitely think twice about purchasing a female from a petstore again!)



This last picture is our latest plan to re-introduce Cookie to Oreo and her babies. I put a divider between the two boxes to make sure there is no fighting but they can get used to each other safely.

So, within less then 12 hours we've gone from owners of ONE guinea pig to owners of FOUR guinea pigs!!! We are all finding this very humorous and exciting...and also a bit daunting! The kids, of course, are absolutely elated!

So, thank you God for new life:-)

6 comments:

  1. Oh, how exciting. They are absolutely adorable...God is so amazing,lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwww, too sweet! What a blessing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry, should have introduced myself!
    I'm Laura. I followed you over from Angela's blog.
    You'd better make sure those babies are all female or else you'll have more than 4! LOL
    We have two of them. Aren't they the BEST?!?
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice to "meet" you Laura:-)

    Yes, these little ones are very very adorable....and very very loud and squeaky:-) LOL!

    We re-checked their sex today and have determined they are most likely both male babies (which really makes my girls sad!). So, I guess our plan will be to look for homes for the two brand new babies (when they are weaned in another two weeks) and then we'll hope that Cookie and Oreo get along. So far I'm not too hopeful of that, but maybe once the babies are out of the picture they will:-)

    All of us are really enjoying being guinea pig pet owners! I particularily like the fluffy abyssinian breed. So far both Vanilla and Cookie seemed to be more snuggly and friendly. Plus they are very very cute!

    ReplyDelete