Tuesday, January 20, 2009

A Deeply Rooted Tree

I love going for walks along the river banks in our city. There is usually a lush green grassy area and then closer to the river, in a lower spot, there is a mucky area (only wet mucky in the spring season) where the river levels were higher during the spring melt. Not much grass grows in those areas because our growing season up here in the Canadians prairies is relatively short. However, what DOES flourish in this "mucky" area are the TREES! They are absolutely MASSIVE! So, when the mud dries up after the spring melt, then my husband and I love to go for bike rides along those dirt paths near the river. We admire the strong hardy trees. Oftentimes the roots are exposed...and we have to watch for the gnarled roots popping up on our path!

Summer '07 we took a trip down the west coast and enjoyed the beauty of God's creation along the way. Some of the trees we saw in Oregon and California were absolutely unbelievable! One of our favorite campsites was in Oregon, at Beverly Beach, close to Newport. We had this beautiful stream flowing right behind our campsite and it was so lush and green and the trees were absolutely stunning.

Right in our campsite. Those are quite the trees to attach a clothesline to, aren't they?! Absolutely massive!



The massive size of our "clothesline" trees in our campsite in perspective next to the kids.


A really cool tree we actually DROVE THROUGH in northern California! Very interesting experience! And an ABSOLUTELY MASSIVE TREE!

I want to be like those trees!

Blessed is the man
who does not walk in the counsel of the wicked
or stand in the way of sinners
or sit in the seat of mockers.
But his delight is in the law of the LORD,
and on his law he meditates day and night.

He is like a tree planted by streams of water,
which yields its fruit in season
and whose leaf does not wither.

Whatever he does prospers.
Psalm 1:1-3



I want to "delight" in God's Word (like streams of water or the river that I mentioned above) and be nourished spiritually, rooted and built up in Him (Col. 2:6-7). I want to yield fruit, more specifically the fruits of the spirit~love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control (Gal. 5:22-24).


The trees stretch so tall, seemingly almost to the sky. The thickness of the solid tree trunk is unbelievable...so sturdy, so hardy, so ancient. The roots of the trees twist this way and that...but they gravitate towards the stream. They soak up the nourishment. They grow strong. In the springtime and summer they are lush and green and sweet smelling. They stand the test of the storms, drought, heat, cold and time. It's hard to miss them as we walk along those river banks! And it's hard not to think of my Creator when I see these trees. They point straight to the awesomeness of God!


That's the way I want to be. I want to be a planting for the display of the Lord's splendor just like those trees, as He nourishes me, grows me, protects me, teaches me, equips me. I want to point other's to the Creator, my Lord! That is my prayer today.

They will be called oaks of righteousness,
a planting of the LORD
for the display of his splendor.

Isaiah 61:3

2 comments:

  1. Jesus is Lord and I can see it through your blog. Be blessed and know that His wonderful Hands are upon you and your family. Be ever blessed and increasing in His Love and Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. May the Lord bless you.

    ReplyDelete