Saturday, January 17, 2009

Thoughts Captive to Christ

Here is a continuation or maybe even better yet, a completion, of what I had set out to do here and here.

I'll think for now I'll just tackle the main triggers for overeating (in TW terminology "fat/flesh machinery") that come to mind...

1. More is better.

This is a common thought I have as I shovel in more and more and more of my favorite foods. I'm particularily vulnerable when I'm tired or when I'm eating something very sugary and sweet. Does it satisfy me more?

God says I am to be content with my portion.

LORD, you have assigned me my portion and my cup; you have made my lot secure. The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:5-6


He meets my needs and has set pleasant boundaries in my life which lead to a delightful inheritance. I'm not sure that I'm interpretting these in the most theologically sound way! However, I appreciate these verses tremendously as I need to remember that 0-5 boundaries are pleasant! They are natural! They allow me to fix my eyes on Christ rather then on rules and regulation and FOOD! But I must be content with my portion! And the delightful inheritance is truly finding my greatest satisfaction in Christ and the icing on the cake is that I won't be carrying around excess weight if I'm truly content with my portion and the pleasant boundaries.


2. I can't resist!

When that homeade bread, cinnamon buns, chocolate bar, ice cream is staring me in the face...I often feel like I just can't resist! Yet God says provides a way out!

No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. And God is faithful;
he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can stand up under it.
1 Corinthians 10:13



3. It just taste SOOOO good, I want more!

I may taste very very delicious but God satisfies ever so much more!

Taste and see that the LORD is good; blessed is the man who takes refuge in him. Psalm 34:8


And the only thing that eating past satisfaction brings is shame and guilt and excess weight!


4. Just this one time!

This is my usual rationalizing at it's best (or worst!).

God says in the bible,

...sin is crouching at your door; it desires to have you, but you must master it." Genesis 4:7

Be self-controlled and alert. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour. 1 Peter 5:8


...and do not give the devil a foothold. Ephesians 4:27


That's just snapshot of some of the thoughts that try to gain entry into my mind with regards to the temptation to eat outside hunger and satisfaction. I continue to look into the mirror of God's Word for truth to hold up in the face of Satan's lies and temptations.

2 comments:

  1. I know for myself, I may not be theologically 'sound' from a preachers stand point, but between God and I, when He is 'feeding' me His Word and I grasp unto it, 'eat' it and it fills my spirit, mind and soul, than I believe that was God's intention for me through that scripture.

    I LOVE how you are able to be 'fed' the Word of God, taking it into your mind, body and soul!! Finding truths in those struggles so that you are able to released from the lies that have tempted your mind, body and soul...
    ((((hugs))))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your thoughts/posts are always well written and thought provoking, including this one.

    I love your hairstyle by the fire in the snow too btw! =)

    ReplyDelete