Saturday, June 7, 2008

Choosing to Receive Forgiveness

As I reflected on TW ch 19 "Opening the Prison Gates" it was the first time in my readings of TW that I realized the need to forgive myself. This is my prayer:

Dear Lord, I choose to receive Your forgiveness for myself for failing so many times--in particular back in 2002 to 2004 when I just couldn't seem to get back in my bmi zone and then from there things just got worse. It was a heart issue at the core of it all. Please forgive me for failing to surrender to you and your will. I choose to no longer live in that failure but rather move forward in Your grace. In Jesus name, amen

I was struck by a wonderful statement that Debby posted yesterday on the TW forums:
The neat thing is that we are learners, not failures.
Isn't that a neat statement?!!! I thought it was a wonderful perspective that will certainly stick with me!

As I was reading this chapter, this verse popped out to me as well:
"Then I acknowledged my sin to you and did not cover up my iniquity. I said, 'I will confess my transgressions to the Lord'--and you forgave the guilt of my sin." Psalm 32:1-5

4 comments:

  1. "Then I acknowledged my sin to you and did not cover up my iniquity"

    The thing I am learning right now is that I need to have this attitude even when I'm assessing my hunger number. I have really struggled with honestly assessing my number.

    I guess if I get over myself and realize that God is not shocked by my sin, nor is he even ignorant of it, I can take the next step. He can't help me do anything about it if I pretend it doesn't exist.

    This O&C stuff is a prime example. I have to stop letting shame and fear keep me from just throwing my sin and my mistakes right out there in front of Him for us to discuss. I don't mean that I want to be light-hearted about it, but somehow I've gotten the wrong idea and think that wallowing in shame and hiding from God for a while are appropriate responses to bad choice I make. Like if I steep myself in my failure long enough, I'll somehow stop making bad choices. Oy.

    The rest of that verse is the key... "...I said, 'I will confess my transgressions to the Lord'--and you forgave the guilt of my sin." I can't get up and out of it until I put it out there for Him to forgive.

    Thank you for some great stuff to chew on! (No pun intended!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for reflecting more indepth on this verse. You actually put into words ALL that was going through my head/heart as I read that verse!

    The reason I highlighted the portion "did not cover up my iniquity" was for the very reason you mentioned... Being honest with myself and God about my observations, my hunger #'s etc. I have struggled with this too. Sometimes keeping a public food log has made it more difficult for me to be honest...but mostly I think the public food log is a necessary step in accountability for me at this time.

    I just thought the entire verse was so powerful. Observation (confession), correction (repentance) and God's grace and forgiveness are all reflected so beautifully and clearly in this one verse:-)

    Thanks for sharing your thoughts and reflections, Lundie! Been praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amen Christina! I needed to hear this today. I've been bathing in God's amazing grace. I haven't made it to Chapter 19 yet, but I am trying to forgive myself for all my past failures and the lie of the enemy who whispers to me, "you're a loser". Thanks for sharing your heart.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's tough, isn't it, Paula?! Praying for you.

    ReplyDelete