Saturday, December 27, 2008

The Lord's Table~Day 27 to 34

I'm a little behind with these summaries because of Christmas! But I have continued doing the readings daily even during my travels. They have been a great source of encouragement and have definitely continued teaching me new things...

--------------
Day 27~Walking in the Spirit

Isn't this interesting how the verses in Galatians 5, which highlight the importance of walking by the Spirit, were the main theme of my Saturday, December 20th reading! God has been highlighting this verse numerous times for me over the past couple weeks. This lesson continued as this verse was highlighted at the Christmas eve service I attended. God is speaking loud and clear!

Should we just give up and say that we will always have these intense temptations, these fiery darts from the enemy, and at timse we will have victory over them and at other times we will give in to them? Many people do just that. They are tired of fighting, tired of resolving to stop only to fall again, tired of the vicious cycle. But friend, this does not have to continue. Scripture makes a declarative statement:

Walk by the Spirit and you will not carry out the desires of the flesh. Galatians 5:16

The above passage states that there is a way to keep from fulfilling the lusts of the flesh. It is to walk by the Spirit. It is to be led by the Spirit. It to walk with the Spirit. So, our "fight" is not so much with not overeating, or not being greedy, selfish or divisive, it is with maintaining our walk with the Lord. For if we live by the Spirit, are led by the Spirit, and walk with the Spirit, the promise of Scripture is that we
will not gratify our flesh. We will not overeat. We will not be sexually immoral, etc. There is our answer! TLT workbook pg 87-88

I wrote a big "AHA!" by the point! I have known this truth, but the above paragraph really put it all in perspective with just the right words! I know the main point of this journey for me is to learn to walk by the Spirit at all times in all things, all for the glory of God!


--------------
Day 28~New Creations in Christ

I did this reading last Sunday... "Therefore if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creature; the old things have passed away behold, new things have come" (2 Cor. 5:17) kept on turning over in my mind and heart OVER AND OVER again this whole entire week at my in-laws. I didn't even realize until this moment that this was a central part of my Sunday, December 21st reading! Go figure! My memory is obviously short...but the verse was obviously highlighted for a reason and did stick with me. I kept thinking, "Am I any different then last year in regards to my eating?" I can't say I felt much different, but certainly was seeking to abide in Christ and look to Him throughout this entire week. That's different. That's reflective of seeking to walk by the Spirit.

I am the vine, you are the branches; he who abides in Me and I in him he bears much fruit, for apart from Me you can do nothing. John 15:5

I am reminded I must ABIDE in Christ! I am a new creature. I am being led, prompted, empowered by the Spirit.


--------------
Day 29~Growing in Christ

This lesson dealt with three different groups that John addresses in 1 John 2:12-14: children, young men, fathers.

I know that I'm growing up. I can sense a change in me as I am applying, chewing on, praying and soaking up the Word of God more each day. This is incredibly exciting for me!

Thank you Lord for giving me a hunger and thirst for You and for Your Word. Thank you for revealing truth to me, being patient with me and teaching me. You are just awesome and incredible! Thank you!

I can also see myself being equipped and prepared to give an answer for the faith more often. I will explain that a little later...


--------------
Day 30~The Discontented Heart

I was reminded that I need to be content with my portion. Don't go looking for contentment with more than I need else I be greedy. Fill up on God. He brings true contentment and satisfaction. More of Him. Less of me. This is my prayer.


--------------
Day 31~Back to Basics

This lesson highlighted the point that Jesus' birth in a manger was a reminder for Him to be fed upon. I read this on Christmas eve which was quite meaningful to me. It once again felt like God was speaking with a loudspeaker to me! :-) This reminder also made Christmas that much more meaningful...

The main points of this lesson were:

  1. Delight your soul.
  2. Discipline your body.
  3. Develop daily accountability.

These were all great reminders:-)


--------------
Day 32~Freedom through Fellowship

The main point of this lesson was:

Truly stopping habits of overeating requires ongoing intimacy with God. TLT workbook pg101

And it all boils down to the John 15 portion of scripture which highlights over and over and over and over again that we must ABIDE IN HIM, staying close to Him spiritually! Then we will bear fruit! Praise God! Walk by the Spirit. Abide in Him. Bear fruit. I am reminded that I must fix my eyes on Jesus for He is the author and perfector of the faith. This is all very encouraging to me.


--------------
Day 33~Exercise is a Must

Okay, gotta exercise! The main point of this lesson obviously! I am getting my butt in gear:-)

I don't tend to get too legalistic about exercise. I don't even see it as having anything to do with weight loss to be honest!

I tend to view it simply as being great for my muscles, for my heart, for my energy, for my endurance, for toning... I don't connect it very directly with losing or lack of losing weight. I DO view it as being important to make a priority though. My goal is once again 5x each week doing 20 minutes cardio (jumping rope is the best one during these cold winter months...and I have an eliptical machine on my bday wish list now:-) and then aim for 3x each week doing some kind of resistance/weight training. That's has been my goal in the past and continues to be:-) I'm already looking forward to spring when I can get out jogging again. I really enjoy getting the fresh air and time with the Lord as I get moving:-) But alas, I must wait a few months for that!!!


--------------
Day 24~Enjoy the Feast

God's grace has been very evident in my life. I am thankful for a godly heritage and upbringing. I am thankful for a wonderful husband. I feel that could have gone quite wrong had not God been gracious! I was so young and we jumped into marriage quite quickly. I'm very thankful that Jon and I share the same values and faith. It is actually quite incredible how God, in His grace, brought us together. I also can see God's grace and provision evident in our lives with regards to jobs. And then of course I can see God's hand of grace in my life as I have struggled with weight-related issues for the past 20 years, since I turned 13 years old. God has been gracious and not given up on me but rather used this to draw me closer to Himself! What an awesome God!

This lesson asked the reader to soak in Psalm 103 and Ephesians 1 and note all the spiritual blessings that Christians have to feast upon... The list got pretty LONG!!! I would encourage everyone to take the time to do this exercise! It was pretty amazing to note all the blessings that God has for us!

I felt like this quote from a course member (Pastor Joe), summing up his weight related issues, corresponded quite closely to where I'm with my journey...

While I am still tempted and occassionaly fail, the pattern of my life now is walking in obedience to the Lord in this matter. I pray that He will do a complete work in me and I will bring glory to His name because of His grace working in me. TLT workbook pg110

No comments:

Post a Comment