Saturday, December 20, 2008

Auto-Pilot Mode lined up with God's Truth

Another thought that lines the walls of my mind is...

When I'm in auto pilot mode with overeating or am tempted to eat outside 0-5 I am thinking...


1.) Quick, quick! Do it quickly before you have time to think or second guess. Don't even think about praying right now. Just eat it quick!


Can a man scoop fire into his lap without his clothes being burned? Prov. 6:27
You have set our iniquities before you, our secret sins in the light of your presence. Psalm 90:8
For this people's heart has become calloused; they hardly hear with their ears, and they have closed their eyes. Otherwise they might see with their eyes, hear with their ears, understand with their hearts and turn, and I would heal them. Matthew 13:15

but each one is tempted when, by his own evil desire, he is dragged away and enticed. Then, after desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and sin, when it is full-grown, gives birth to death. James 1:14-15

Shoving that food into my mouth as quick as I can is like scooping fire into my lap! I'll be burnt! I may be able to keep my overeating a secret from my friends and family...but not from God. No matter how quickly I shove food into my mouth He is always All-Knowing (and as I noted before, my sin grieves Him). May my heart not become calloused and closed. I desire God's healing touch. And once again by allowing my evil desire (thoughts/lies planted in my mind by Satan) to drag me away and entice me (it truly only takes a few split seconds!) I need to remember that this evil desire gives birth to sin. And once again I'm giving the devil a foothold by allowing my sinful desires to give birth to sin.



2.) It tastes so good. More WILL satisfy me more.

If you find honey, eat just enough—too much of it, and you will vomit. Proverbs 25:16
I am the LORD your God, who brought you up out of Egypt. Open wide your mouth and I will fill it. Psalm 81:10

Taste and see that the LORD is good; Psalm 34:8

My soul will be satisfied as with the richest of foods; with singing lips my mouth will praise you. Psalm 63:5

When your words came, I ate them; they were my joy and my heart's delight, for I bear your name, O LORD God Almighty. Jeremiah 15:16

That first verse about honey is great! What a practical wise word! I mean I haven't actually ever vomitted from overeating... However, the whole point of that verse is that we need to adhere to moderation in our eating! Overeating doesn't make my body feel good! That's pretty straight forward! I need to get that through my head...to my taste-buds and down to my stomach! God has so much more in store for me then some extra brownies or a massive bowl of ice cream!!! I've been gathering that from the various studies I've been working through over the past year, in particular The Lord's Table. I'm to feast at His table, on HIM!


3.) I'm at the counter munching. This doesn't really "count."
and
4.) I'm just "extending" my lunch/supper meal a little longer. What's the harm in that?

Be self-controlled and alert. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour. 1 Peter 5:8

Like a city whose walls are broken down is a man who lacks self-control.
Proverbs 25:28

With lack of self-control and vigilance (stopping when I'm satisfied and practicing moderation) my overeating actually allows the enemy an opening in the wall, similar idea as the foothold imagery.


One verse that was hitting me last night as I was reading in Ephesians was:

For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God—not by works, so that no one can boast. Ephesians 2:8-9

I can't "work" my way out of gluttony...no matter how many LISTS I create!!! (boy do I ever have a lot of those!) It is God's grace that saves me. I need to remember this as I become more "introspective" and examine the walls of my mind. There is no magic formula in recognizing the lies or even coming up with truth statements. What is important is that GOD cleanses, heals, restores, saves and transforms me from the inside out BY THE GIFT OF HIS GRACE! It is so freeing and encouraging to know that it is God's grace that is the KEY!

Thank you Lord for your grace and continued healing. Amen.

1 comment:

  1. I have vomitting because I had gorged so much food. I have those scriptures underlined in my bible, with notes, dates and prayers calling out to God for deliverance...Great devotional, great insight, totally God inspired!!

    ReplyDelete