Tuesday, December 9, 2008

The Lord's Table~Day 14, 15, 16, 17

Day 14~Put Off and Put On

I think this lesson went in one ear and out the other after studying it! As I look back over it I can see there is much I need to remember!

Surely you heard of him and were taught in him in accordance with the truth that is in Jesus. You were taught, with regard to your former way of life, to put off your old self, which is being corrupted by its deceitful desires; to be made new in the attitude of your minds; and to put on the new self, created to be like God in true righteousness and holiness. Ephesians 4:21-24

We must put off overeating and put on feasting in God's Word.
TLT workbook pg 45


Here is a list of some of my bad habits with regard to eating that need to be "put off" that came to mind:
  • Snacking at the kitchen counter.
  • Eating in the evening when not hungry.
  • Eating when tired, often after hosting guests for a dinner or an event.

Here are some good habits that I would like to "put on" and begin forming with regard to eating:
  • Increase my intake of God's Word and time in prayer.
  • Exercise 4-5x each week.
  • Plan for trials/challenges.
  • Apply conscious eating in present time.

-----------------

Day 15~Accountability

Here's a good quote:

A log that rolls off the fire cools down and eventually the fire will go
out unless it is placed back with the other logs. TLT workbook pg49

I consider this blog a form of accountability for me. I also have friends (in person and online) who I discuss these kinds of matters with. My husband is a good support as he is very inclined towards conscious eating. And I also have some naturally thin friends who are a good support and example to me.


---------------------

Day 16~Temptation

This was a great lesson. Just a couple days ago I had purposely gone to read the account of Jesus being tempted by Satan. I learned much from the insights of this TLT lesson.

We are most easily tempted during the following times:
  1. After a high spiritual experience.
  2. At a time of physical weakness.
  3. When we are alone.

I can most relate to the the latter two. The two points I will definitely be applying from Jesus`example of dealing with temptation are:

  • Say "Get away Satan!"
  • And using scripture say "It is written..."

I think this will stick with me!


---------------------

Day 17-Brokenness: Key to Victory

The point of this lesson is that God must break us.

"Repentance elsewhere is remorse, which clings to the sin and only dreads the punishment. Let us then seek, under God, to have a hatred of sin caused by a sight of Christ`s love."
Charles Spurgeon (as quoted in TLT pg55)

I think I`ve been experiencing remorse but not true repentance oft times. I know one of the punishments of the sin of gluttony is extra weight on my body. Hence I dread the punishment! But I need to actually instead have a hatred of this sin with my eye on Christ.

Brokenness of heart and soul make way for entrance of God`s Holy Spirit, even as the farmer must first break up the ground before planting the seed that produces life. TLT workbook pg56

This analogy of the breaking up of the ground to plant the seed actually continued to fit with this well-watered garden imagery quite well. I find it interesting how God keeps on speaking to me through that image.

I am praying and pleading and crying out for brokenness and a hatred of the sin of gluttony in my heart. I don`t want simply remorse. I want repentance-true and real and contrite and broken.

2 comments:

  1. You've been nominated for an award. Check out my post dated 12/10/2008. Right click on the award image to save it to your computer, then you can add it to your blog.

    To accept your award, you only need respond to three questions and post them to your blog.

    Love in Christ,

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your kind thoughts and prayers! I *really* appreciate it! (((hugz)))

    ReplyDelete