Saturday, December 20, 2008

Willful Rebellion lined up with God's Truth

Day 14 of Thin Within is called "Choosing to Build on Truth." Here's a quote from Thin Within on pg 148:


The next time you face the pantry, refrigerator, or cookie jar, and you're really not hungry, ask yourself what you believe about your quest to become a vibrant, healthy temple of God. Ask yourself (and the Lord) what actions would follow if you were to believe what God's Word of truth says about you? God has promised to empower you so that your actions reap results that give glory to Him and an abiding joy within.

The Thin Within book has an exercise on pg 148 where you list your belief, what actions follow and then what the results are. I've done this exercise before and found it quite powerful. That being said, it's time to pick apart some of the thoughts that I noticed line the walls of my mind in certain times of temptations and then find scriptures to line up my thinking with the mind of Christ, keeping in mind that I am under the canopy of God's grace. So here goes... When I'm willfully rebellious I am thinking...and Scripture says...


1.) I (SELF) am the most important. My desires are the most important. I want what I want when I want it...and I get what I want.


Jesus replied: “'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.” Matthew 22:37


For you, O LORD, are the Most High over all the earth; you are exalted far above all gods. Psalm 97:9


Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; Proverbs 3:5

everyone who is called by my name, whom I created for my glory, whom I formed and made. Isaiah 43:7

So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God. 1 Corinthians 10:31


I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. Galatians 2:20


God is above all. I am His creation. My job is to glorify Him in all I do, trusting Him and loving Him with my heart, soul, mind and strength. It is NOT glorifying to Him when I gratify the desires of my flesh.


2.) I've tried calling out to God in the midst of temptation before and it hasn't worked, so why bother trying?


No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can stand up under it. 1
Corinthians 10:13


Brothers, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus. Philippians 3:13-14
Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything. If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him. But when he asks, he must believe and not doubt, because he who doubts is like a wave of the sea, blown and tossed by the wind. That man should not think he will receive anything from the Lord; James 1:2-7


Why bother??? Because God promises that perseverance is developped and perseverance must finish its work so that I may be mature and complete, not lacking anything. Plus I am being called to press on, forgetting what is behind (all those past failures) so that I may win the prize (eternal life). That's worth it! God promises a way out of temptation, an escape route. I need to keep pressing on and looking for that way out and praying that promise. And then of course there is the truth recalled in the previous point...my greatest purpose in life is to glorify God in all I do.


3.) It will make me feel so much better (to eat that ice cream etc)--more energy, more enjoyment etc.


There is a way that seems right to a man, but in the end it leads to death. Proverbs 14:12
Having lost all sensitivity, they have given themselves over to sensuality so as to indulge in every kind of impurity, with a continual lust for more. Eph 4:19


Taste and see that the LORD is good; Psalm 34:8
My soul will be satisfied as with the richest of foods; with singing lips my mouth will praise you. Psalm 63:5


Open wide your mouth and I will fill it. Psalm 81:10
Why spend money on what is not bread, and your labor on what does not satisfy?
Listen, listen to me, and eat what is good, and your soul will delight in the richest of fare.
Isaiah 55:2

It may make me feel better temporarily, but ultimately I will have a continual lust for more, food will never truly satisfy and it will lead to continued captivity. God promises to satisfy me more then even the richest foods. HE will fill me up.


4.) Just get it done and over with. I can't resist. Why bother?


"everyone who is called by my name, whom I created for my glory, whom I formed and made." Isaiah 43:7


So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God. 1 Corinthians 10:31

It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery. Gal. 5:1

and do not give the devil a foothold. Ephesians 4:27



Why bother??? Because God created me for His glory and I am to glorify Him in ALL I do, even my eating and drinking. Because, once again perseverance must finish its work so that I may be complete and mature spiritually, not lacking anything. God desires me to be FREE, not a captive! "Don't give the devil a foothold!" has been resonating with me today.


5.) God doesn't care about this one time, does He? He'd forgive me anyways, right?


Hate what is evil; cling to what is good. Romans 12:9


And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, with whom you were sealed for the day of redemption. Eph 4:30


Of course He cares about this one time! One time piles on top of another time on top of another time which becomes a mountain eventually! God is saddened by my sin. He wants me to hate what is evil and cling to what is good and never give the devil a foothold.


6.) I sin. God forgives. I can count on that!


What shall we say, then? Shall we go on sinning so that grace may increase? By no means! We died to sin; how can we live in it any longer? Or don't you know that all of us who were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into his death? We were therefore buried with him through baptism into death in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, we too may live a new life. Romans 6:1-4


What a rotten attitude I have! God forgives me. I certainly can count on that. But it is “greasy grace” to think that this is license to continue sinning with no concern for true repentance. If I love God with my whole heart, soul, mind and strength I will NOT want to grieve Him and I will want to turn to Him to satisfy me and fill me up. I will want to move far away from sin and ever so much closer to Him!



This willful rebellion is just one of the temptation points, triggers (fat/flesh machinery), that I face on a regular basis. My prayer is, "Keep your servant, Christina, also from willful sins; may they not rule over me." (Psalm 19:13)

My next step is to formulate a plan in the midst of willful rebellion.

So, what is my plan of action, breaking a link in the chain??? I guess I need to apply these truths of Scripture to these moments now. It's test time! I need to be a "doer" of God's Word, not just a hearer.

Today I was standing at the counter and was wanting to reach for some sweet treats and the verse that popped into my head was "don't give the devil a foothold." I think that may be one of the truths I will have near and dear to my heart for awhile. Because that is what I'm doing when I give in with those small little temptations. It may seem insignificant and small, but in all honesty, my willful rebellion in those moments are giving a foothold (which I liken to a rung on a ladder) to Satan. And I want no part in that!!!

I plan to get a small spiral bound notebook and write some of the Scriptures that seem most benenficial down on these pages, and attach it to a necklace of some sort so I can wear it around the kitchen! That's when I'm most tempted so I thought that may be a good reminder for me to really apply these truths. I'll get that notebook asap. Just have to get to the store. The first verse I'm going to print out is "and do not give the devil a foothold." I will aim to memorize whichever scriptures are in this little notebook.

And I will also continue watching and praying, putting up that "keep away" sign, saying aloud as Jesus did "Get away Satan, for it is written..." and praying the promises of the Lord.

Well, that's enough from me today. I appologize to those of you who read my blog, for being so long winded. I guess this blog is just my way of processing everything (essentially my journal) and it all spews out here, each and every thought that runs through my head and heart!!!

6 comments:

  1. Good thoughts...processing them in writing helps, doesn't it?

    I like the idea about the notebook! It is so important to confront lies with truth!

    ReplyDelete
  2. popped into my head was "don't give the devil a foothold." I think that may be one of the truths I will have near and dear to my heart for awhile.

    God has spoken this to me also. He showed me when I go down that road with over eating, EVEN a little bit, not only am I giving Satan a foothold, but he comes marching in and starts messing with other areas of my life, my family and our circumstances. I keep reminding myself, 'is it really worth it, this 'snack', this 'pleasure' that can cause more harm than good, opening up doors for Satan to come attacking?

    The spiral notebook is something I have done for quite awhile. I have one in my rec room where before the daycare children have their Quiet Time circle, I allow them to play for a bit, while I get this book out that is covered in hand written scriptures. I sit there and read them, meditating upon them and allowing them to soak in my spirit.

    In my daycare room I have receipe cards with scriptures written on the front and back. I've accumalted them over 10 years now, adding more as I find more that minister to me. When I'm starting to have a rough day, or need some peace, encouragement, etc, I get those cards out and just sit down. Read them and again, the peace of God which transcends all understanding just washes over my spirit.
    I've noticed in your posts lately that God is doing a 'new thing' in you. He is bringing you deeper into a more intimate walk with Him, you are 'growing up in Christ' Ephesians 1. It's beautiful to read, and to witness God's power working in your life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Angela, 10 years is a long time to have accumulated scripture on those cards! That's awesome! Your relationship and walk with God is such an incredible inspiration to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. One more thing, Angela, yes I do feel like God is doing a new thing! I feel this incredible hunger and thirst for His word and for intimacy wtih Him. So I'm chugging away:-) I know it will be a little more difficult over the next week as we travel to my in-laws, but I'll just do the best I can and sneak away and do as much reading as possible:-) I know I'll be in dire need of filling up on His word and time with Him while staying with my in-laws!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. GRRRRRRRRR..that is me that deleted. I didn't mean too,lol. I was sharing that I will be praying for you while your away and that God will make a way for you to spend time with Him. I have found myself waking up earlier than everyone else when I was away to spend time with God and His Word. I would always bring my Bible, devotionals, journal. A MUST! I would go sit in their living room, or in my bedroom (depending if there was a place where I wouldn't wake up hubby). I'd make sure that the coffee maker was ready for my mornings, always asking if I could have it set for me to plug in if I woke up earlier than others,lol. God WILL make a way for you hon, for this IS your desire. How can He NOT make a way when His precious daugther desires to spend time with her Father, her Daddy!! ((hugs)) You will be missed. I will be praying for your holidays and excited to see your posts back up and your sharing what God has been doing!

    ReplyDelete